Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Imperial Gallic D Reconstruction
I was informed by my friend that only the peak depth was mentioned by Lindenschmit not the peak thickness. :oops:

The peak thickness was ontained from a proportions calculation based on the size of the cheekguard.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Actually Peroni the original did have the things you see in the pictures.

I stand humbly corrected! :oops:

The only pictures I have seen are from the Robinson book which are black and white and rather poor quality. Now that Caballo has posted the tinted picture I can indeed see the decorated neck guard edging.

Do you have a photocopy of the Lindenschmit report that I may have?
Peroni,

No problem. We all sometimes take Robinson's word as the ultimate truth. I remember my friend also arguing about the neckguard and other points. He even argued about the cheekguard roping. However, I think we would all agree to a certain point that looking at the evidence, if the rosettes on th right cheeckpiece are silver and the neckguard is roped than the cheekguard follwing suit would also be roped just like the other Gallic Helmets where edging and rosettes match.

Peroni, I also did some calculations and the brow reinforce (peak) is as thick as you see it on the photo.

I will ask my friend if he has the Lindenschmit otherwise you can get the reference on armamentarium.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/archive/arma/c ... helm01.htm

Quote:The whole of the rim of the cheekpiece (except for the top, where the hinge was located) was trimmed with copper alloy piping similar to that used on the neckguard.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Tarbicus,

Thanks for the reference supporting the overall reconstruction of the cheekpieces. Big Grin

Paolo
Yes, this is a staggering reconstruction of this helmet. There are even more unknown details that have yet to be revealed. Hopefully, the armorer will publish his findings.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
The armorer will actually publish the details that are not obvious from pictures and his findings about how to make other parts of the helmet including how the proportions of the peak and other elements were achieved.

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
I believe the armourer is going to publish an article in Skirmish magazine, and may also write up the techniques used in ancient warrior magazine once he gets the info I sent him! I spoke to Jasper earlier about him and he sounded enthusiastic, so I hope I am not speaking rashly here!? Something to look forward to! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron,

What info are you refferring to?

Thanks

Paolo

Paolo
Info about Ancient Warfare magazine. The armorer called me today... :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,

That is excellent. I remember my friend mentioning that the armorer was very enthusiastic to report his finds.

Paolo

Paolo
That's it! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Did this ever make it into Ancient Warfare magazine?
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
I do not know if it was ever published, but I must be honest Dean, what I have seen so far of your work makes you one of the best smiths around concerning Roman Helmets imho.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Thanks Henk-Jan. I think I want to tackle the D as a journeyman project so to speak. I have collected info and pictures of it for years. The only thing left to do is find the original report. I am a year away from that goal so I wanted to start now. The reconstruction in this post is amazing.
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,120 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Imperial Gallic E irwimar 8 3,834 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: irwimarl
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,362 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork