Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Roman Decurion
Hello,

I am really not sure with one issue and I decided to ask about it here. Did decurions wear their swords on right or left? Simple question...

I am also a bit confused about Guisborough helmet. I saw a sample of Theilenhofen (I believe it is Guisborough too, please correct me if I am wrong) and compared it to damaged helmet from Gerulata. Archeologists believe that this helmet belonged to an officer of Ala I Cannanefatum.

The main problem is, that there seems to be no crest or other decoration on the top of the helmet. I would just like to see how could this helmet look like. It is really damaged and its not that easy to imagine. Are there any other helmets of this type?

Thank you!
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Iconography suggests swords worn on the right...(four tombstones/grave stele in the Mainz collection for example plus my favourite Flavinus in Hexham Abbey/Corbridge museum)

however...

Not all the subjects of the tombstones are Decurions.

(one of the Mainz tombstones/grave stele includeds an archer and his quiver is on the right...which begs the question where his sword is...)

And I am sure someone will come up with a left facing example depicting the sword on the left but I am struggling to remember one!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hello Martin!

There are to date seven complete and about 23 cheekpieces and fragments known of the Guisborough/Theilenhofen Type helmets. In the case of the latter it is of course not always shure if they really belonged to this type.
I don't have my copy of JRMES 5,1994 (1996) p. 213 fig.2 at hand in the moment, but as far as I remember the Gerulata helmet is quiete similar to the less decorated helmets from Guisborough and Chalon for example.
You can compare them in the helmet database (CSI01 and CSI02).
The Theilenhofen helmet (CSH02) stands out of this group because of its decoration.
But as it bears inscriptions of troopers of cohors III bracaraugustanorum equitata, there is no reason to assume that the less decorated helmet from Gerulata would have belonged to an officer.

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thank you guys, you have helped me a lot.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Well...it may not really be much help ref the side of the sword awas woprn on as the iconography may well just be a stylistic habit of the sculptor/tradition...it possibly depends which way the tombstones/stele were facing when they were in the ground!

The Lancaster reiter is carrying his sword in his right hand...but still may be a stylistic element.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,94/
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Very interesting... thank you for information. It seems that it is not that clear as I thought.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decurion LonginusXXI 0 378 11-15-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: LonginusXXI
  \"Decurion\" vs. \"decanus\" TIM 11 4,526 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Decurion QFirmus 35 8,459 09-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Felix