Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome in the Client Kingdoms of Bosporus and Palmyr
I'm having trouble finding citations of ancient literature, but I understand that Roman soldiers garrisoned in Bosporus and Palmyra. Can anyone help me out on these two issues:

1) What is the evidence for this (inscriptions, literature, etc.)? Any recommended reading (web sites, articles, books, etc.) on the topic?

2) Why would Rome allocate soldiers to client kingdoms like that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Zeichmann - New Testament Ph.D.
You can go here: Epigraphic Databank and search Palmyra in the 'place' box, although this brings up inscriptions from Palmyra without translations.

As far as articles go I have a few saved somewhere, hang on.....

Palmyra and the East - Henri Seyrig - The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 40, Parts 1 and 2 (1950), pp. 1-7

Palmyra as a Trading Centre - M. Gawlikowski - Iraq, Vol. 56, (1994), pp. 27-33

The Caravan-Gods of Palmyra - M. I. Rostovtzeff - The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 22, Part 1: Papers Dedicated to Sir George Macdonald K.C.B. (1932), pp. 107-116

Palmyra under the Aegis of Rome - I. A. Richmond - The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 53, Parts 1 and 2 (1963), pp. 43-54

As far as books go I'm not aware of any stand-out ones, but if you do come across one then you can check scholarly reviews of it here.
Arma virumque cano
The ancient 'Bosphoran Kingdom' was actually the modern Crimea, and a Roman client state from around the mid 1st century. Roman legionary vexillations drawn from Moesia Inferior were stationed there at various points, and there might have been a supply base for the Black Sea Fleet. Quite what the troops were doing there is not clear, although they were involved in fighting (against Sarmatians, perhaps?) at least once.

Here's thread noting what few bits of evidence are available:

Forts/cities in the Crimea
Nathan Ross
Awesome. Thanks for the help, you guys. It turns out Braund's Rome and the Friendly King has a helpful citation on p. 101n. 45, too.
Chris Zeichmann - New Testament Ph.D.
Just for adding a note, the Bosporan Kingdom was annexed by Nero, kept under direct roman comand until Galba decided to entrust it again to a client king (Bunson, Matthew (1995). A dictionary of the Roman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press).
[Image: romanempire.php?Period=Nero%20Claudius%20Cae...us&Scale=4]
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Votadini, client kingdom? CaesarAugustus 13 2,696 10-01-2019, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Soldiers Serving both Rome and Its Client Kings ChrisZeichmann 0 1,073 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: ChrisZeichmann