Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
latest use of phalerae???
Many first-century gravestones show soldiers wearing phalerae on their chests. This use of phalerae (beside the use in cavalry-harnesses) has been discussed at length in the forum, but I was wondering about one thing: what is the latest sculpture that depicts phalerae in an infantry-context?
By latest, do you mean representing the latest date in history, or the latest sculpted date?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Valerie Maxfield (THE MILITARY DECORATIONS OF THE ROMAN ARMY Chapter XIII) has dona, including phalerae, phased out at the end of the second century. The last names she mentions (from inscriptions, although I'm unsure whether there are reliefs for these tombstones) are Tillius Rufus and Claudius Gallus, both decorated for the Severan war of c.197. After this, she says, we see the award of torques, or of monetary payment, promotion and increased rations, instead of the traditional dona.
Nathan Ross
Thanks Nathan! This is very helpful. I can not remember I have ever seen phalerae in reliefs of the third century, so it sounds also very plausible to me!