Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Géza Alföldy (1935-2011)
A giant of Roman (military) studies, Géza Alföldy has passed away while visiting the Akropolis in Athens on 6 November.

He had a long and distinguished career, latterly in the Department of Ancient History at Heidelberg. RAT members will perhaps know him best from his Mavors volume of collected papers: Römische Heeresgeschichte. Beiträge 1962-1985 (1987).

From Franz Steiner Verlag web site:
"We mourn for our author Géza Alföldy, who died in Athens on Sunday 6 November 2011 at the age of 76. Born and raised in Budapest, he emigrated to Germany in 1965. After professorships at Bonn and Bochum, he was appointed in 1975 as Professor at the University of Heidelberg, where he taught until 2005.
"As one of the greatest authorities on Latin epigraphy, he founded the Heidelberger Althistorischen Beiträge und Epigraphischen Studien (Heidelberg Ancient History and Epigraphic Studies), which he edited until his death. With great dedication, this year, Géza Alföldy was able to complete the revision of his most famous work Römische Sozialgeschichte (Roman Social History). A few weeks before his death, we were able to hand over to him the first copies of the fourth edition."
Download contents listing of 4th edition (PDF)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
A real loss.

My condolences to all family and friends left behind.
ALA I BATAVORUM
See Athens and die. A tragedy.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A tragic loss. As a scholar he shall be deeply missed; as to the person, I cannot but add my condolences to his family and friends to those already expressed.

As the Romans said, in their epigraphy to the study of which he contributed so much: sit terra levis. May the earth rest lightly on him.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Sad to hear of his death. He was a great scholar. He was taken by the gods while on the Akropolis, which is a fitting place to die. He will surely have reached the Elysian fields and now walks amongst the great.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.