Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gillian Bradshaw
This Authoress came to see the Guard at Stoneleigh since when I have had 2 of her books out of the library One the Sand Reckoner dealt with Archimedes and the other Render unto Caesar is set at the time of Augustus.<br>
She writes well with authority and weaves a believable ancient world.<br>
Archimedes shows the inventor at the time of the siege of Syracuse when it was besieged by Rome. The other is about a Greek wanting to recover a debt to his Uncle from a Consul. Not a promising subject but it is an absorbing read with good characters and a lot of detail on money and banking.<br>
She is particuarly interested in the concept of citizenship and in the earlier work she contrasts what it means to be a citizen of a Greek city to that of a Roman. In the later work we have a citizen of Greek origin insisting on his rights despite his peregrine origins. She has 16 novels published but not all are in print.<br>
bradshaw.port5.com/ <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Yes, I'd recommend Gillian Bradshaw's books too. Shame I missed her at Stoneleigh :-( If you meet her again, and there's some Late Romans around can you point her in our direction?!<br>
<br>
btw, Bradshaw doesn't have a regular British publisher so her books can be difficult to get hold of - you must have a good local library Derek! I get hold of them via Amazon.co.uk. My favourite of hers is 'Island of Ghosts' about the Sarmatians sent over to Britain in the late 2nd century, but 'Sand Reckoner' is not far behind. <p></p><i></i>
She has been championed before:<br>
<br>
p200.ezboard.com/fromanar...61&stop=80<br>
<br>
I started with <em>The Beacon at Alexandria</em> and <em>The Bearkeeper's Daughter</em>, which may even have been her first two (they were even in Penguin/Viking IIRC). Only shame is that <em>all</em> the books of a writer of this quality are not permanently in print. Woooaa.. don't get me started on major commercial publishers... ;-)<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Oh, I love Island of Ghosts. And her retelling of a <em>lai</em> by Marie de France (Bisclavret), it goes by the titles "Wolf Hunt" and "The Wolf Within" (I think the latter is the UK version). <p></p><i></i>
I only have her three Arthurian novels, <em>Hawk of May</em>, <em>Kingdom of Summer</em> and <em>In Winter's Shadow</em>.<br>
Does she have any Late Roman novels?<br>
<br>
OK, forget that one , I found this page:<br>
[url=http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Gillian_Bradshaw.htm" target="top]www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Gillian_Bradshaw.htm[/url]<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=vortigernstudies>Vortigern Studies</A> at: 11/17/04 8:30 am<br></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark North by Gillian Bradshaw ParthianBow 1 1,445 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross