Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subligaculum
Hi
Is this an accurate reconstruction or someone's fantasy (or best guess)? Do we even know?

[Image: subligaculum.jpg]
Joel
As far as I know, we simply don't know.

To add, I use this pattern and in my opinion it works fine.
ALA I BATAVORUM
It's taken from the book by Susanna Shadrake and I guess the gladiators of Britannia are using this pattern too. BTW we are using it also, because it sits tight when you tie it like indicated. If you just wrap the cloth around you I assume it might slip down if the belt is not fastened tight enough, so this stays up even without the belt on.

As with most clothing of Ancient times we see them only when they are worn by persons and not when laid out - nor do we have any sewing/weaving instructions left over from that time. Therefore the correct way they were wrapped etc. is an assumption.
Hello folks

This thread got me wondering about a few other things that we see on the subligar.

Some pictures are shown with very straight apron like attachments hanging down the front, once or twice from the back. Any thoughts on if this was a decorative attachment rather than integral to the subligar and whether it held any significance, I realise that its all conjecture, but it would be interesting to hear what you think?

Also, I have seen a number of reenactments where bells have been attached to the subligar and round knees. I can see decorations on the stele etc ... but do we have any direct evidence for bells? I think the addition would be great to kit, but am unable to find anything concrete showing them. Any thoughts?

Looking forward to any thoughts you might have.

All the best
Graham
That might be ok for a gladiator. But for a regular person, every day, probably unadorned would make the most sense.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have fringes on my subligaculum.
Of course you do, Medusa, you're a pretty girl! We hairy legged paunchy guys go for the more manly underwear. :???: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, I should check my sources again, but I thought we have several pictoral evidence for knee-straps with 'items dagling', which could be bells. There also must be a textual source somewhere mentioning the use of bells within gladiator combat, if I remember right.

I even think about a sculpute clearly showing this feature, but I can't recall that one at all, so I wouldn't give that as a hard fact for now. Will have to search for it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I've seen that, too, Jvrjenvs. I couldn't tell in the one I looked at if it was a bell or a tassel, either of which could have been some kind of "rank" insignia, or number of wins, or something like that. Or something else that we have no idea what it meant...including just a personal preference.

Bells would be a neat add-on if the gladiator fought against one of the blind gladiators.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Try on of a subligaculum - some fun pics :-) Medusa Gladiatrix 3 4,063 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Salvianus