Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Weapons did a Soldier Need?
A bit of a theoretical topic. How many weapons do you think the average ancient soldier needed to be most effective?

To me it looks like it tends to be around 3: a bow or polearm, sidearm, and a knife or dagger. However as I understand it into the dark ages it became common for some warriors to carry literally as many weapons as they could.
Henry O.
That absolutely depends on not only their role, but how their army operates. The Greeks and Romans had a system which fought as a unit, plenty of their adversaries did not, sporadic and primitive sometimes even.

Given that you only have two hands, you can only realistically wield two weapons at a time, and since weapons (unless they are firearms) will last the length of the battle, with the exception of some spears like Greek dorys where it was not uncommon for them to break during battle.

I suppose you could have a sword and shield in your hands, a dagger on your belt, and a bow or battle axe on your back, but unless you are a samurai, you really do not need to be burdened with so many. Like Henry Ford discovered, the most efficient means is specialization rather than being responsible for a broad array of tasks
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
By the late empire some Roman cavalry were extremely versatile. They could be trained to carry and use the bow, sword, and lance. But these were by no means average.

The infantry shield with its metal boss could be used offensively.
Jaime
And darts Smile
Shield, sword, bow, darts, lance - those guys were lvl 40 munchkins.
What type of soldier, what period.

As a 1st century slinger I have few:
-a slinger with a bag full of bullets
-a knife

As a 1st century legionairy, it bocmes some more
-a shield
-two pila (spears)
-a gladius (sword)
-a pugio (dagger, last defence)

As a late roman (4th century) soldier
-a shield
-a hasta (spear, longer)
-a spahta (sword)
-maybe a dagger or big knife (for last defence)
-some plumbata (darts) on the back of my shield

As a cavalryman
-a shield
-a hasta (spear)
-a spatha (sword)
-a pugio or knife
-a quiver full of Iacula (javelins)
-a bow (with a quiver of arrows)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Don't forget the Legionaries occasional use of the Dolabra and other tools as weapons. Also a small camp knife either a sheath or folding type may have been carried into battle.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I would imagine you would need one of each group.

Long range weapon for both fighting and foraging.
Medium range like sword, axe or pole arm.
Short range for last resort or camp work like long knife or short axe

And some protection like a shield, helmet and/armor.

Each culture had their own versions.
Quote:I would imagine you would need one of each group.

I guess you're referring to the Dolabra here? I think the sources suggest that every soldier had one 'tool'. Most of them probably dolabra, but other entrenching tools have been found as well. You certainly not all need a Dolabra, but all soldiers need some kind of tool for construction works on a marching camp.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I wouldn't use a dolabra it's to cumbersome and heavy. A smaller axe would work just as well and be lighter.
Agreed Joe, a pick axe would be the last weapon I would want to use. Unless you have broken rank, the legion formation would not allow you to effectively swing the dolabra around, unless how awkward would it be swinging that thing around while holding your scutum?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Probably something used as a last resort.
The camp servants would proabaly take them up if they had any fight in them.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Agreed Joe, a pick axe would be the last weapon I would want to use. Unless you have broken rank, the legion formation would not allow you to effectively swing the dolabra around, unless how awkward would it be swinging that thing around while holding your scutum?
Quote:Probably something used as a last resort.
This is Taf. LXX of the Cichorius plates. Note the soldiers on the right defending their camp.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...el_LXX.jpg
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:
Matt Collettivs Ave post=299781 Wrote:Agreed Joe, a pick axe would be the last weapon I would want to use. Unless you have broken rank, the legion formation would not allow you to effectively swing the dolabra around, unless how awkward would it be swinging that thing around while holding your scutum?
Quote:Probably something used as a last resort.
This is Taf. LXX of the Cichorius plates. Note the soldiers on the right defending their camp.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...el_LXX.jpg

I would still rather use a spear or sword and shield as my weapons instead of a pick axe. Heck a tomahawk sized axe and shield would do just as well. It worked for the Vikings in their shield walls.
You can do a lot of damage with a pickaxe!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:into the dark ages it became common for some warriors to carry literally as many weapons as they could.

Based on what evidence?
A couple of spears (one for throwing, one for keeping), a shield and a knife would be it for the majority.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman weapons and culture and Hindus weapons SAJID 7 2,949 01-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: daryush