Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going round in circles - Old Hat
I understand that has probably been done to death, but (hides behind scutum) what is the present consensus of opinion on the colour of early imperial military tunics

newby, legionary wannabe
get 'Graham sumner - Roman militairy dress' and make up your own mind. In the book Graham listst most of the sources for colours there are which makes it an excellent read and research book.

That is about the concensus there is...
ALA I BATAVORUM
Darn, going by the topic heading, I thought this was going to be about a Roman hat source or archaeological find….

Anyway

I also highly recommend Sumner's book, as well as "Wearing the Cloak: Dressing the soldier in Roman times" Edited by Nosch, Koefoed.

I also suggest getting a copy of Bishop & Coulston's "Roman Military Equipment".

And, consider getting an account on Academia.edu, you can find a bunch of research papers, journals, articles, etc on a good variety of topics, not just Roman, downloadable in pdf.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
The recommendations above are good. You might also like to look at this post, one of the most recent discussions of the topic, and particularly Graham Sumner's last post on it.
Nathan Ross