Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword
Bouncing around the countryside refers to "a late Roman auxiliary cavalryman stationed in Britain, and that won't fall apart just because it's attached to somebody on a galloping horse". I find horses very bouncy.

Addapting a sword takes research for it to be reasonably accurate. Yes, a non commercial look may be achieved, but do try to base that on what we have evidence for and don't just slap on anything that you think "looks right and works". There is no point in addapting it otherwise. There are plenty who will offer you advise on that, as will I. My beef with buying crap swords and addapting them is really that it keeps bad products in the market (they are being sold). You are better of making or having someone make you a blade and start from there anyday. You also learn a lot :grin:

There a various stages in "Indian crap", a whole range of crappyness. Like Jurjen said, the Deepeeka third century sword is half-decent. There are still quite a few things wrong with it, so it is not "historicly correct", but as you wrote from the start, you have limited means and do not wish to pursue "correctness", you can well get a DPK. I have a first century one :wink: The fittings are awfull! Will take that apart one of these days.

John's offer to get Paul to make you a blade for a decent price sounds great! As does Mithras offering you a slide for your scabbard. When making the bone grip, be carefull with the bone dust, it is dangerous to the lungs. Best piece of bone for that is the thick canonbone just above the hoof. I buy those at the petstore, where they are offered as dogchews.

Have fun!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword - by Robert - 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM