Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad Archeology/Angry Archeologists
Whoever thought "mythbusting" was NOT entertaining ?!
Read these websites ( ...... and :mrgreen: !):
http://www.badarchaeology.com/ and
http://badarchaeology.wordpress.com/
Both in English.
Thanks to Markus Zwittmeier
http://www.tribur.de/blog/?paged=2
(In German)
again for bringing this to my attention.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Keith Matthews is a very nice guy, also a good archaeologist, and I've used his websites very often for source material (he's published several sources on sub-Roman Britain and currently works on a new edition of the Historia Brittonum). These sites about archaeo-nonsense are a great help against the spread of silly information!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Robert
...and , yes, I think we certainly need such a thing to "counterweigh" the bullshit :mad:
that circulates the Web and TV :oops: ! (BTW, -- hello ZDF !! :mrgreen: )
Or should I have better said that we are in urgent need of the counterweight .... :roll: )

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
I note my post on Archaeological theory along with two other posts were removed by persons unknown and for no reason given. I have gone through older posts and found some of my older posts and either changed, edited, or missing. Only moderators can do this, and it would seem to me to be a serious abuse of their moderating power.
Seems to be a pattern here. NO surprise to me at all though, knowing some of the things that have gone on behind the scenes in RAT. My comment on this thread mentioned moderators who got excesssive so this one will disappear also, no doubt. It also quoted from some current text books on Archaeological Theory that make discussion of the different schools of thought impossible given the current RAT rules. So much for academic freedom. That has been dead on RAT for a long time under the guise of PC and other vague circumstances that have been twisted to suit the purpose of a few moderators.

Anyone who removed my post and those of the others have the courage to tell me and those other people who did it or why? RAT perhaps needs to add a rule that moderators who don't like what you say, or like the person who posted it can change or delete anything they want in total secrecy. You know, like the Gestapo did and the KGB? It does not seem to be in the rules as I read them. We call it censorship in America, and it is a major violation of our civil rights, like it or not.

Ralph
(Who signes his name to his work, and is not a backstaber who works in secret)
Yes,
...somebody explain, please.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Apologies are in order indeed. The post, plus two replies, was temporarily removed while being discussed by the moderators. For one about the language used, but in any case because we felt it did not belong to this thread. All posts will be returned, after the moderators have decided what to do. We feel that a discussion about moderation is perhaps useful, but without the need for senseless accusations as made here.

All discussion about censorship here is useless of course, this is a private forum where every member is present (or not) by their own free will. it does not give them any perceived 'rights' based on any law, for the forum is not part of any single nation.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ralph, If you'll read the rules of RAT posting, you'll see that Moderators DO have the right, perhaps even the obligation to edit posts. Moderators generally talk things like that over offline, and make decisions based on a general agreement, not on whim or only one person's opinion, unless the comment is very clearly against the rules, and needs quick attention. Why else would there be moderators?

In a general sense, one moderator will take charge of the particular thread, and will PM the writer. Sometimes the mod will ask the writer to self-edit. Other times, the editing is simply done. If you have received PMs from a mod and you are asked to comply with one rule or another, and you don't, please don't get offended if the moderator simply makes the changes to bring the thread back on track. It's not a personality contest, and often, a moderator gets his "ear full" from the writer. Some people, after showing disrespect long enough and "loud" enough find themselves banned.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Then why did you not send this as a PM? I would have edited what was thought to be offensive, something I still do not know, as no one has yet told me.

Ban me. RAT is overmoderated to begin with. I am sick of being ganged up on by by the "in" click. If I am insulted I will speak out. That makes me the trouble maker. Thats the way it goes. Also, it is not unkown for moderators to twist things around and some have problems with telling the truth.

I am suffering more and more episodes of paralysis from a skull fracture I got in a helicopter crash and don't have much longet to live, so I don't really care anymore anyway.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Angry birds in Latin richsc 1 2,190 11-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Archeologists:I need some advice! Primvs Pavlvs 9 1,577 02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Viventius