Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I will NEVER do this again.
Last week I ran a "Halloween" half marathon (13.1 miles) in Chicago. Usually, half marathons are not too difficult for me. (Notice, I never said I was FAST.)

I thought it would be fun to go as a Roman soldier. So I bought a cheesy costume on line, and as a last minute thought, I wore my Imperial Gallic G helmet. I'm an idiot.

By mile 8 it started getting hot, my head felt like a huge meatball boiling in a pot. But I toughed it out and finished the race. Got the medal too.

I figured you guys would get a good laugh out of it. Please don't evict me from the forum!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hmmmm, I guess you can stay, as long as you promise to run it in proper Roman kit next time....

just kidding! Well done, I would be hard pushed to run a half marathon in shorts and t-shirt....
March in full kit, maybe, but run....no chance!! 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Love the 3rd picture, you can tell you were really getting into it by then :wink:
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
In the nicest possible way you are BARKING! Confusedhock: Big Grin

Well done though! Great effort.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hmm... perhaps if you had used caligae instead of sneakers would would have faired better lol. Welcome to the forum!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
After careful scrutiny of your kit I must regretfully point out you got it wrong. The numerals, see? It should be "XI", not "11".
this is the way the romans trained their probatus, next time in armour, then in full marching order. :wink: :mrgreen: But still a great efford.I just took to running and form 10 km is fun.
keep it uo.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I guess you found out if your helmet padding was any good, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Is that first picture on the portico of the Field Museum?
Actually, yes it is! As I was walking past it to get to Grant Park, I noticed it was the perfect location for the picture. Good job on catching that!