Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masada and related squamata? scales
One RAT member, Theo, has a tutorial on how he made his scale armor. For scale models he used the Masada scales albeit he modified the scales for his squamata. He showed a drawing in a book of the Masada finds. There are two types shown in this book. One type has a mid-rib, four holes clustered at the top (two above and two below, all four being right above the rib)and a rasied edge decoration that goes around the entire scale. Then there is another type that is exactly like the one mentioned except there is no raised edge decor. According to the caption, these scales belonged to zealots. However, are there any other thoughts? Are they or could they be Roman especially those with that raised edge decoration? From the pictures I have seen the ones with the edge decoration look nothing like any Roman grave stela with scale armor sculpted into it nor any actual Roman scale artifacts.

However, I also know of a third kind of scale from Masada where there are 8 total holes and a mid-rib. Two holes on either side of the rib towards the outer edges which allows for overlap just like typical Roman scales and four holes above the rib clustered at the center as described for the others above. This scale did not appear in that book from Theo.

If the third scale type has typical Roman characteristics and was found with the others, is it not possible MAYBE that they are all Roman?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Ah, from Peter Connolly's "The Holy Land":
[Image: Scalesize1.jpg]

I'm not sure why he attributes these scales to the Zealots. Maybe the context of the find led him to that conclusion. But I don't see why they could just as easily have belonged to a Herodian, Legionary, or Byzantine soldier. All three of those types were stationed on Masada at some point. Even if they did 'belong' to Zealots that doesn't mean they didn't snatch them from dead Romans. [A Roman legion was destroyed seven years earlier in 66 AD]

He does say somewhere that the plates were locally manufactured (i.e. in the general region). This fact alone wouldn't make them non-Roman though. At worst it would make the plates Hellenistic - a style the Romans loved to imitate.

Quote:However, I also know of a third kind of scale from Masada where there are 8 total holes and a mid-rib.
I'm unaware of this find but the plate sounds like the type used to make locking-scale armor.

Quote:If the third scale type has typical Roman characteristics and was found with the others, is it not possible MAYBE that they are all Roman?
I would think so. But then again, I'm not sure I believe there is such as thing as Roman characteristics when it comes to armor. If a legionary's armor is manufactured on the Rhine does that make it non-Roman? If it shows local characteristics rather than Italian does that make it non-Roman?

Maybe I should stop asking these kinds of questions. They might lead to counter-interpretations Wink

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are these real roman lorica squamata scales ? Jose Lopez 10 3,577 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Squamata and Plumata scales Doc 10 2,599 07-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Lorica squamata Scales Matt Lukes 6 2,409 05-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis