Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Length of the Hamata doubler, too high?
Avete,

For early lorica hamata, how low should the doubler reach on the chest?

The shape and length seem to be based on the classical Greek Linothorax but I'm not as familiar with Greek armor. I'm guessing there was some variation but am unclear on how high or low the shoulder doubler could have been.

I ask because the doubler on my hamata is rather high and just reaches my upper chest. I'm wondering if I should have it extended. (please see photo attachment)

Thanks in advance for any insights.

~Theo
Jaime
I think your suspicion is correct. Perhaps it should come further down your chest, maybe three or four inches. That would allow for a more believable connection bit, the bronze bar or "dragon heads" that we're used to seeing. But I'm not a historian.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I think I would agree with David on that point it does need to be that bit longer where it could be held with some decorative fastener arrangement, these dragon hook type fixing are normally located just above the horizontal nipple line.
Brian Stobbs
Gratias, David and Brian.

I agree, it doesn't look quite right.
Now I'll hunt for a source that sells loose, flat rings :-)

~Theo
Jaime
I would not go for loose flat rings it is better to get solid closed ones and you can cut or snip them open yourself to fit your requierment.
Brian Stobbs
Hmm...it's proving to be a bit challenging to find a source. Part of the challenge it to make the rings match as close as possible to the rings I have. Otherwise the shirt will end up looking unseemly with the obvious extensions. I plan to extend the hem of the shirt as well since it dips in the front. It was made for a centurion impression, apparently.

~Theo
Jaime
PM sent.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Theo I like the way your shirt looks overall and I too agree with what Brian and David said. Where did you get your shirt?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Thanks, Doc.

I picked it up from a former reenactor. It was custom made for him and since I have a similar build the shirt is close-fitting. For that reason I think the shirt is more comfortable without the usual excess of rings on an 'off-the-shelf' hamata.

I'll ask the original owner who made it since no one outside of India makes the flat, unriveted rings I need to make extensions.
Jaime
Thanks for the info Theo. BTW, I sent you a PM.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hamata Doubler Dimensions mstraatm 2 957 08-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Hamata doubler Chuck Russell 8 2,658 12-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Malleus
  Hamata length Wes 7 2,654 11-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius