Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Please - Roman Saddle, Castleton, Derbyshire
Greetings all.

During my extensive research on Roman saddles this interesting item has cropped up in conversation with an acquaintance from the Peak District (sadly, everyone gets bored by me and Roman saddles...). Even more sadly she can't remember which museum it is in and I have so far failed miserably to find it!

May I ask, therefore, if anyone has any more information/photographs/drawings and most importantly excavation reports on this and the other leather items found at the Roman mine works (lead mining I believe)? (1980s).

Edited to add: I am rather hoping she isn't confusing this with the saddle cover found in CASTLEFORD in West Yorkshire!!!

Thank you kind people in advance. Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:During my extensive research on Roman saddles this interesting item has cropped up in conversation with an acquaintance from the Peak District (sadly, everyone gets bored by me and Roman saddles...). Even more sadly she can't remember which museum it is in and I have so far failed miserably to find it!

May I ask, therefore, if anyone has any more information/photographs/drawings and most importantly excavation reports on this and the other leather items found at the Roman mine works (lead mining I believe)? (1980s).

Edited to add: I am rather hoping she isn't confusing this with the saddle cover found in CASTLEFORD in West Yorkshire!!!
Well I was digging at Brough-on-Noe in the 1980s (only 2 miles from Castleton, for those who don't know) and if there had been a Roman saddle found then I think I would have heard about it. I strongly suspect that you are correct in diagnosing confusion with the Castleford finds, which were made about the same time.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thank you for your response, Mike...I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion! My friend is abroad at the moment so I can't question her any more but I suspect a poisson rouge! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman saddle & Stele of Silius richsc 16 3,722 06-01-2015, 03:10 AM
Last Post: richsc
  (Another) Roman Saddle Question Vindex 30 4,876 07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Roman Saddle Question Nathan Ross 10 2,404 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Vindex