Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Didius Falco, anyone?
Just wondering if anyone here has gotten into the Lindsey Davis novels about the above character? She puts an extensive amount of research into her books, and I have found them to be fantastic reads. The protagonist, Falco, is an "informer", a sort of 1st century detective employed by Vespasian. Her style or writing is very good, giving Falco a sort of Sam Spade persona.

I'm sure some here have read them, but if you haven't give her books a try. I believe the first novel in the series is "Iron Hand of Mars", but each is pretty much self supporting, so they do not need to be read in series.
I have them all! They are good reads... I have to disagree on out-of-order reading, though. I am re-reading them all - in order - because the latest book's ending absolutely stunned me. I want to see what I missed in character development that leads to the final scene. (No spoilers from me.)

The first book in the series is "The Iron Pigs".
Cheryl Boeckmann
Wonderful stories: I have the whole set, and some with the UK dust jackets, just because. The Iron Hand of Mars and Silver Pigs are my favorites though.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
The Iron Hand of Mars is my favorite and it was nice meeting again some of the legionaries from that one, and the Veleda, too, in Saturnalia. And yes, the first one, The Silver Pigs is another favorite in the series.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I have read a number of these as well as some of the "Gordianus the Finder" books by Steven Saylor.
Golly! I first read these many years ago recovering from a back injury (mid 1990s)but still re-read the fist five in the series on a regular basis.

The Silver Pigs is my favourite but I found the later ones too fomulaic and "forced" but they are still hugely enjoyable. I love her descriptions of Rome.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Falco on the small screen Tarbicus 16 3,187 11-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Falco on CD by BBC richsc 4 1,335 02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Anonymous
  More Falco on BBC Radio 4 Anonymous 1 794 01-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Anonymous