Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Definitive Library
Avete,<br>
<br>
Following a few recent fumbles trying to research items, I've decided I need to get a decent library of source material together. <br>
<br>
I thought this would make an interesting topic that others could benefit from as well.<br>
<br>
So, to all those long in the tooth stalwarts! in terms of tactics, lifestyle and reconstruction, what should be on my top ten reference books.<br>
<br>
Valete<br>
<br>
Mummius <p></p><i></i>
And this promising thread will be moved to Reference and Reviews... Carry on! <p><br>
--------------------<br>
<br>
"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<br>
-- Niccoló Machiavelli, <em>The Discourses</em>, 1517. </p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
My top three (deliberately leaving out Robertson) reference books on the roman military:<br>
<br>
1. Peter Connolly, "Greece and Rome at War"<br>
2. M.C. Bishop and J.C.N. coulston, "Roman Military Equipment"<br>
3. Michel Feugere, "Weapons of the Romans"<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I'd say that no library on the Roman army would be complete without original sources - it's all very well knowing what the legions did and what they looked like while doing it, but without context it's meaningless. As a number one, I'd say Julius Caesar's complete 'War Commentaries' would be a must - it's about as eyewitness as these things get, and provides the best account going of a Roman army on campaign and in battle.<br>
<br>
Others would depend on the period of interest. For the republic, there's Livy and Polybius. For the later republic, read Appian. Tacitus gives a good account of the army of the principiate (in fact, a compiliation of 'Histories', 'Annals' and 'Agricola' might be in the definitive top 10 as well), as does Josephus. There's also Marcellinus for the later empire.<br>
<br>
As for general reference books, my personal favourite is Warry's 'Warfare in the Classical World', mainly because of the excellent illustrations. I still think Warry is the best Roman military illustrator out there - but as far as I know he doesn't seem to have done anything visual besides this one book. <p></p><i></i>
Nathan Ross
As far as good sources on origins go, I am pretty satisfied with TJ Connels book "The Beginnings of Rome". It is very informative and extremely well written. If I didn't have so many darn text books to read I could focus my attention on that book more thouroughly. But oh well. <p>THERE ARE NO STUPID PEOPLE, ONLY PEOPLE STUPID ENOUGH TO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY'VE MADE A MISTAKE</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Get all of Adrian Goldsworthy's books:<br>
<br>
The Punic Wars<br>
In the Name of Rome<br>
Cannae<br>
The Complete Roman Army<br>
The Roman Army at War 100bc-200ad<br>
<br>
In the original sources I would recommend Tacitus:<br>
<br>
Germania/Agricola<br>
Annals (Overview of early Imperial years)<br>
Histories (Devoted to 69 Ad....Year of four Emperors) <p></p><i></i>
The books I turn to most often are:-<br>
-The three Graham Sumner books- two published by Osprey and one by Brassey (all excellent)<br>
-Feugere<br>
- Christies catalogues- the Axel Guttmann collection (1 & 2) - to look at great pictures of the originals<br>
-The Roman Legion in colour photographs - Dan Peterson (great pics)<br>
I have on order via ebay a copy of Robinson , and have pre-ordered the new Bishop & Coulston which both sound like essential sources.<br>
(I also sneak a look at the Ospreys as well, but wouldn't admit it publically<br>
<br>
As for originals, my favourite is Josephus as an eye witness account, though Agricola runs him close.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Paulus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
T.H. Dodge - Caesar and Hannibal are also great to read!<br>
Vegetius<br>
<br>
basicly the books in our bookstore at RA.com:<br>
[url=http://www.romanarmy.com/Content/Miscellanii/Miscellaneous_Main/Bookstore/Bookstore_Books/BOOKSTORE-BOOKS.htm" target="top]RA Bookstore[/url]<br>
are all "must-haves" <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
A great flame follows a little spark.<br>
Dante Alighieri,The Divine Comedy<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New, definitive ROMAN SWORD book due out FlaviusCrispus 25 7,207 12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Last Post: maarten