Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End Of Sparta, By Victor D. Hanson
Anyone read this yet? Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1608191...700_snp_dp

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I always approach Hanson's factual stuff with a little trepidation - therefore I'm really not sure what I would make of his attempts at fiction ...

In any event - the events under consideration were not The End of Sparta per se. The end of Imperial Sparta and of Classical Sparta - perhaps. The end of dominating Greece and instant reliance upon allies doing her bidding - certainly. But not the actual 'end' of that peculiar city-state, which actually survived throughout the Hellenistic and successive period better than Thebes or many of her contemporaries like Corinth, Athens etc.; and periodically made attempts at a comeback (most successfully in the 220s).
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Ripples of Battle: How wars..." by Hanson Goffredo 5 1,692 11-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus