Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather working tools 1st/2nd century AD
Afternoon all, i looking for a little help. I decided to start an "immunis" trade to complement my auxiliary persona. Has anyone any line drawings or photos of unearthed Roman leatherworking tools? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
There have been some tools posted on this forum. Have you searched yet?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
actually I am also interested in this. i did looked around the forums and you can find some things but not a specific post with the title.
all of you that make shuch an impression can you please post here.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Rich
There are some leatherworking tools in "Le cuir et la pelleterie à l'époque romaine" by Martine Leguilloux.
TiTvS Philippvs/Filip
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxi.be">www.legioxi.be
Hi Rich,

I was wondering if you ever got your set together. I recieved some scans from the Manning Catalogue and that has a section on iron leatherworking tools (including a lunette knive), quite a few of which I will be forging this coming winter. These is a display in Xanten park, I too will be making the grips and handles with boxwood, for which there is the archeological evidence.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I don't know how accurate they are but if you go on Ebay and search Roman Reenactment and Roman Reenactor... there are things you can purchase there.
Yes, I have indeed seen these. But as you suspected, these are not accurate for the Roman period. They are marked as multi-period, so there is no faulting the seller.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Leather Pouch Link Ironhand 51 11,311 09-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Martin Moser