Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finds of Roman military equipment in Croatia 2010
Salvete,

I just received this book from my local dealer yesterday:

Nalazi rimske vojne opreme u Hrvatskoj = Finds of the Roman military equipment in Croatia. Zagreb, 2010. ISBN 978-953-6789-51-1

It was made for the ROMEC last year in Croatia, so anybody who attended may be familiar with it. The book is a real treasure chest with a complete catalogue of military equipment finds in Croatia complete with English text.

Many of the items have long been published (in particular in Militaria Sisciensia), although some I have seen for the first time in colour photos since their original publication by Hoffiller in the 1910s.

Highlights for me include:

2 beautiful bronze Weisenau helmets from Burnum, one complete and one fragmented, plus a fitting cheek piece (These were apparently already published in 2009 in Tomislav Separovic, Nikolina Uroda - Antička zbirka Muzeja hrvatskih arheoloških spomenika (=Ancient Roman Collection of the Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments ?), Katalozi i monografije, Muzej Hrvatskih Arheolozkih Spomenika No. 17, Muzej hrvatskih arheolozkih spomenika, ISBN9536803208, 9789536803200, Split 2009)

and

1 bronze Niederbieber helmet (river find).

The most spectacular item form is a whole bunch of hitherto unpublished Intercisa style helmets from Osijek.

One remarkable piece has the typical "horned" feature with facing animal heads at the terminals of the horns embossed on the top of the bowl. This specimen together with the winged victory on one of the Koblenz cheek pieces makes one think that many of these helmets may been more similar in appearance to earlier style helmets than has been believed.

There is also a treasure trove of other equipment, swords, daggers, plumbata, and tons of fittings some of which I believe have not been published before.

Although I have not yet read a single line of the text I am already very happy with this book!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jens

This sounds excellent. Where did you get it from?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Here:

www.kubon-sagner.de
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks for the information! Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Odered!

Thank you, Jens!

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
VERY interesting!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
This is great!

Is it possible just to have a peek of some of those finds in a shape of a pic Big Grin !!??
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Any feedback on the book? I already have Militaria Sisciensia- is it worth the extra?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Any feedback on the book? I already have Militaria Sisciensia- is it worth the extra?
Definitely.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Is it possible just to have a peek of some of those finds in a shape of a pic !!??

The book is definitely worth buying. I cannot post pics here but feel free to PM me for more information.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jens, PM sent!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quick question...if I have to choose, should I buy this book or the new one on swords???
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:...from my local dealer...

You definitely bought the best stuff in town!

Quote:There is also a treasure trove of other equipment, swords, daggers, plumbata, and tons of fittings some of which I believe have not been published before.

I am interested in technological matters. Do they cover any remains or parts of
- cranks
- mills or watermills
- artillery equipment
- crossbows
- wheelbarrows
- stamps

?

-
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Do they cover any remains or parts of
- cranks
- mills or watermills
- artillery equipment
- crossbows
- wheelbarrows
- stamps

I am not quite through the book but I have seen nothing of these in the catalogue sections.

Quote:Quick question...if I have to choose, should I buy this book or the new one on swords???

I do not have that book but what I understand is that it is exactly the opposite of this book:

Military Equipment in Croatia is mainly a - fairly expensive - catalogue of finds with short introductory chapters addressed to a professional audience. Its value lies in the photos of the finds and the details of their find context. The introductory chapters are brief and do not present any sort of general history. My approach to this sort of book is normally that I go to the local library to copy the finds of interest to me instead of buying the whole book. But in this case it was not available at the local library.

The book on swords apparently is a - rather cheap - high level summary addressed to a more general audience. It appears to be an outline of historic developments summarizing more detailed works such as Miks' book. Even if it had nothing new to present, you would not risk much in buying it given the comparatively low price.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
We successfully get back yesterday morning from Italy and our participation Natale di Roma 2014 . I am very pleased that I managed to visit some of the museums .For two days such as I was able to do in Rome: Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Church of San Clement,Vatican Museum .Оn the road through Croatia I managed to visit the Archaeological Museum in Zagreb from there I bought the book “FINDS OF THE ROMAN MILITARY EQUIPMENT IN CROATIA” EDITOR :Ivan Radman-Livaja .
Very useful reading for those of us who deal with this topic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BumPNU-vv3o
And during our trip from Serbia we visited the Museum in Belgrade.
[Image: e9c1ff162219.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20th Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC XX) in Cologne Eleatic Guest 0 925 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies vol 11 Thomas Aagaard 4 3,691 05-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Last Post: Julian Parthicus
  Catalogue of Military Equipment from Pompeji jho 1 1,968 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs