Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
constructing and mounting a porpax
Well done Kineas. I like both emblems on the shields. Your group is going to have all red shields with black emblems,or it's just by chance that these three shields have the same colours?
Lorica,the porpakes you make are somewhat your own style,nor wide like the archaic ones nor thin like the ones with the detachable lining.
By the way,have you experimented with the hinged lining?
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
We will concentrate on red and white as our colors, but in an attempt to have a "unit" spirit without wrecking the individual nature of hoplite equipment, we'll have lots of variation. So Theron will be red black and gold/yellow, Lorica will be red and black, Archippos will be red/white, but the next two will be blue and white (Bion) and blue and yellow (Tellerium, if I remember correctly).
Plutarch says that red and white are the colors of Plataea. In fact, they are the colors of Canada... Big Grin
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Has anyone read the Cambridge Companion to Archaic Greece? If so, seen the article on hoplites that discusses the construction of the "boat hull" aspis? How come I've never heard of this find?
I have never heard of it either, can you tell me more. Maybe some images or scans? I'll try to dig up something on it because a link to boat-building is something I know we both have sought.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:Two Porpax shield cores are preserved well enough for their wood to be analyzed. One, dated to the mid-sixth century BCE, probably came from a grave in eastern Sicily and is now in Basel. It was made from willow strips, 0.14M wide, laminated and pegged together.

The footnote says "see Seiterle 1982 and Cahn 1989. I don't have either article. Cahn is apparently David Cahn "Waffen und Zaumzeug." Seiterle, which looks on the face of it like something I'd really like to read, is apparently ""Techniken zur Herstellung der Einzelteile (Excurs zum schild Nr. 217" in Antike Kunstwere aus der Sammlung Ludwig.

I sent a message to the Kuntsmuseum, so perhaps--just perhaps--they'll send me some photos.
Are there any suppliers for porpax and rings ?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Manning Imperial and Talerwin Forge from Australia,Matt Lukes and Aurora Simmons from Canada. All custom made. I'd suggest you do a research for delivery time and price.
Then you have DSC for a lesser job, but most probably much cheaper. Then again, postage from India might be problematic, or might not.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thank you Giannis for the info. Probably will try to make it myself though since the shield is not an historic/accurate reconstruction but made of composite wood.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I can make a bronze Porpax or other fittings for you if you'd like. I'd just need to know length, width you'd like it. If you really want to do it yourself and you have the tools, I can simply sell you some sheet bronze to make it from.
Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Detachable Porpax Giannis K. Hoplite 28 8,105 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Last Post: richard robinson
  Porpax Julius Verax 5 1,938 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite