Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Spatha
Salvete omnes!
I´m looking for a decent "later" Spatha (late 3rd C - early 4th C... Constantine era). In my somewhat limited budget limit (we´re talking about the late Empire, after all... ;-) ), so far I´ve found only the Deepeeka offerings:
- Late Roman Spatha - AH2001
- 3rd Century Roman Spatha - AH2002.
So... any feedback on these? Both appear a little short for my taste; I´m tall, and would like to get closer to the upper limit of the historical record (blade around 30-33 in.)
If there are alternatives, please let me know.
Vale,
Martius
The late deepeeka spatha is about as long as you going to get. The early ones were shorter by about two inches. I got one of the later ones because my Albion Decurio spatha fit into the scabard. Also, please note the non-sharpened swords of ANY type do not have tha balance and feel of the sharp ones, which are much less blade heavy. You can not use the real slice-and-dice at most events, but the sharp ones will spoil you for their good balance and feel. Depending on where you live you can get both that will fit into the same scabbard in most cases. However. A word of warning. The sharp swords need to be treated with respect. They have literally killed millions. Think contantly on where the tip is when it is not in a sheath and do not swing it around. The cutting part is between you and the tip. Learn how to handle one. They are a dangerous weapon, lets not kid our selves. Also pass this on and do not let your friends pose with the tip on the ground; a quick way to turn an expensive item into a worthless one by blunting the tip. Holllywood make people think they understand something just because they saw a movie.

Ralph
Hello Ralph,
Thanks for your input. As for the blade length, I even thought about converting a Deepeeka Saxon Long Sword (AH3306) into a long Spatha (blade geometry looks acceptable; I would have to disassemble it, rehilt and redo the scabbard...). LOTS of work, but perhaps better than being unhappy with the standard late Spatha.
As for the security warning, thanks but don´t worry... I´m a Kendo and Iaido practitioner, and I already own an Iaito and a Shinken. I know that even the Iaito can be dangerous (heck, even the shinai can be), so I always treat any weapon with respect.
Best regards,
Marcio
Actually, if you want to spend the money on an Albion Butterknife sharp one, Ralph,
I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!
The difference is negligable! :grin:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Actually, if you want to spend the money on an Albion Butterknife sharp one, Ralph,
I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!
The difference is negligable! :grin:

Too early though, and I personally think it's a lot of money for a blade made by mechanised stock removal. Save up for a little bit and give the money to a sword smith like Paul Binns and get yourself an individualised thing of beauty (which won't require that you mortgage your kidneys..unless you think that £300-£350 is a lot to pay for a good sword) rather than a CNC milled clone

There are no good 'off the shelf' late 3rd/early 4th C spathas on the market.

Just a personal opinion.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Already spent my loose change on an Albion Decurio. The weight and balance are much much different (and inproved)than the Deepeeeka equivalent. Plus the Deepeeeka scabard works for the Decurio.

Ralph