Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iliad - new translations
That is of course true, and I must say I like the English style Gibbon wrote in, but sometimes replacing ancient city names with modern day places without even so much of a footnote is very annoying to me. Of course when a modern writer translates futue te ipsum with go F yourself it is fine with me, but when rhyme is distorted and words or sentences are not translated the way they should things can get confusing. The translators of Latin as well as Greek are generally quite proficient, but I have a certain dislike for linguists, especially when they start the Coïtus Verbalis about words, letters, readings et cetera which I as a historian find very irritant and confusing at times, especially when using ancient literary sources for a paper. From Papyrologists as well as Epigrafists I can accept that, from "normal" classicists I do not at all times. At the moment I am reading Pritchett on the burial of Greek war dead which is almost unreadable because as soon as he has written down what might have happened he starts mentioning any and all debates between classical language scholars, mixing in epigrafists and ancient historians which leaves you with a puddle of unreadable mud.

for example: lets say that a stone fragment was found containing names of slain soldiers.
The stone was found at place A. Scholar X says that it should have been found at place B, scholar Y says that the reading by Scholar X is wrong because a Theta is actually a Beta, then Scholar Z starts moaning about what Thucydides wrote and why the stone fragment should therefore have been erected at Island so and so.... On which another scholar, an archeologist starts moaning about the lack of context and that in his views the names on the stone cannot be at all from soldiers of this or that battle because according to him the battlefield is 20 meters beneath the earth at this time. No one knows anything, all say many things. MEHERCULE !!!

So I stick with the older translations of classical literature, the Loeb editions, and some of the newer ones, but they have to be as true to the original Latin or Greek text composition as they can come. True, that leaves me with the following annoying problem, the lenghty sentences in which Romans generally liked to write.

Cassius, who went to Salamis after he fought with his brother Dio, who was at that time a slave trader in Tarsus, said to the Senate in Rome when he was there, because he was on holiday for a change since the row between him and his brother had not been solved yet by the mediator who was to travel from Epirus but was delayed because there was no wind that week, that he was very annoyed with the fact that the Senate tried to ban the sale of oxen in Pompeii.

Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Ha! how very true M.VIB.M. Far too often have I found myself basically hamstrung by such wildy differing interpretations of one line of text or epigraphic evidence that I do sometimes think 'what's the point?', if we take all views from all scholars as equally plausible then we have to conclude that we can never reach 100% accuracy regarding past events, and should therefore give it up as futile. I do believe that a few scholars will contradict others just to be contrary however, for example:

'Scholar x has asserted proposition y, therefore I will argue with it for no other reason than scholar x said it, and I don't like scholar x as he has a similar book out at the same time as me/gave my last book a less than great review/got the research grant that I wanted/once looked at me cock-eyed at a conference' - delete as applicable.

-Thankfully not all scholarly view are equally plausible, which helps. :grin:

Going back to the older translations, I can see why they sanitised such authors as Juvenal, with all his explicit and graphic content, but for modern translations to wilfully mistranslate him, or worse, leave those particular poems out completely, is unforgivable to my mind. It really is no different from the medieval scribes copying out the original Latin and amending parts they think don't make sense, or altering others to fit what they think the text is trying to say.
Arma virumque cano
"that once looked at me cock-eyed"

Martialis himself could not have said it better Wink
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.