Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Greek military hero do you admire most?
With all due thanks to the creator of the original Roman version of this:

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...=40#298187

I now ask: What Greek military hero do you admire most?

Myself - I have considerable admiration for Brasidas (the Spartan general of Peloponnesian War fame) even though we know so little about his short life.

Not far behind him would be Leonidas I (the king of Thermopylai fame) and Kleomenes III (surely the last great Spartan king?).
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Pericles, Leonidas, Xenophon, and as you say, Brasidas had a good military mind!
There are others!
Alcibiades was an able general, who was undercut by politics.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'm less familiar with the Greek world than with the Roman one, and would agree that the epitome of the hero is Leonidas, but to add to your list (leaving aside the mythical Homeric heroes):

- Xenophon of Athens. The Anabasis is possibly one of the most fascinating accounts left behind by an actual soldier from antiquity, in my personal appreciation of course.

- Epaminondas of Thebes. Your examples are all Spartan, so I assume you won't like the nomination of the person who cost the Lacedaimonians so dearly, but he was a great general and innovator.

- Alcibiades of Athens, though I hesitate to name him, as he could be considered more of an anti-hero than a hero, and his reputation is not entirely military. Pity for Athens he was not sent to Syracuse, though.

- Xanthippus of Sparta. Even though he fought most famously for Carthage, not for any Greek city, he was a Greek. He was also quite successful and resourceful, and his alleged death by treason also makes the stuff of a hero.

Overall, though I'd only put Xenophon in the league of Brasidas and both behind Leonidas.

Edit: for some suggestions, C. Iulius came in first whilst I as typing!
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
How about Mithradates? He gave Consols Marius and Sula some headaches. Not to mention the greatest tactician of all time Alexander the Great.
Alexander the Great comes first but

I also admire Demophilos the Thespian because he stood in Thermopylae of his own free will not forced by law like the Spartans

Who cannot help admire Timoleon who saves the Italiotic Greeks from the jaws of extinction?

kind regards
Quote:I'm less familiar with the Greek world than with the Roman one, and would agree that the epitome of the hero is Leonidas, but to add to your list (leaving aside the mythical Homeric heroes):

- Xenophon of Athens. The Anabasis is possibly one of the most fascinating accounts left behind by an actual soldier from antiquity, in my personal appreciation of course.

- Epaminondas of Thebes.
Your examples are all Spartan, so I assume you won't like the nomination of the person who cost the Lacedaimonians so dearly, but he was a great general and innovator.

- Alcibiades of Athens, though I hesitate to name him, as he could be considered more of an anti-hero than a hero, and his reputation is not entirely military. Pity for Athens he was not sent to Syracuse, though.

- Xanthippus of Sparta. Even though he fought most famously for Carthage, not for any Greek city, he was a Greek. He was also quite successful and resourceful, and his alleged death by treason also makes the stuff of a hero.

Overall, though I'd only put Xenophon in the league of Brasidas and both behind Leonidas.

Not at all.

I do have a preference for the Spartans, but that is just that I find them so fascinating. It doesn't blind me to the merits of other Greeks - I just didn't want to make my list too long. I was really after the quintessential Greek military hero, and even I had to mention three!

By extension I would include all of your choices (except perhaps Alkibiades because of his wandering allegiances); as well as Alexander III and Philip II of Makedon; Pyrrhos of Epeiros; King Agis III of Sparta; possibly Pelopidas of Thebes...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:I do have a preference for the Spartans, but that is just that I find them so fascinating. It doesn't blind me to the merits of other Greeks - I just didn't want to make my list too long.

I didn't really think you were "lacedaimonising". I did forget the smiley with my comment on Epaminondas. :wink: It's clear, though, that Sparta, the epitome of a timocratic and military culture, should provide the Greek military hero par excellence (focusing on Classical times, and leaving aside the legendary Homeric heroes and the great generals of the Hellenistic area; in the latter case, one could perhaps add Demetrios Poliorcetes, despite the debacle at Rhodes).
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Um..Dithyrambus I suppose. :wink:

And the Messenian hero Aristomenes.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
The Spartan Mother. Did anyone else in history come up with so many pithy militaristic quips?
"With your shield or on it."
"Just take one step closer."
"We are the only women who give birth to men."
The list goes on and on.
The argive crone who ended the life of the greatest military adventurer since Alexander with a roof tile.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:...leaving aside the legendary Homeric heroes and the great generals of the Hellenistic area; in the latter case, one could perhaps add Demetrios Poliorcetes, despite the debacle at Rhodes).

... and Gaza, Ipsus....
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
I think Brasidas and the others are pretty good but I would also like to add:

Iphicrates - beat the Spartans (at least twice), never lost a battle, has more stratagems attributed to him by Polyaenus than any other, invented many things (including (perhaps) a troop type and a shoe, may have influenced Philip and Alexander.
Christopher Webber

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/thracian">http://www.flickr.com/thracian
<a class="postlink" href="http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17/thracian_photos/">http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... an_photos/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/thracianTV">www.youtube.com/thracianTV

[Image: Folp126_small.jpg]
Seleucus. He managed to become popular with his Babylonian subjects; they genuinely must have liked him, because he managed to return. There's also a human greatness in his treatment of Ptolemy, who had snatched away Coele Syria.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Pericles, for his (mostly) astute management of the Peloponesean war, until he succumbed to the plague! Too bad greek medicine and town planning was not up to par!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Seleucus. He managed to become popular with his Babylonian subjects; they genuinely must have liked him, because he managed to return. There's also a human greatness in his treatment of Ptolemy, who had snatched away Coele Syria.

Ahh yes, he would deal later "with friends who encroached".

He clearly was popular with the Babylonians as his re-taking of the satrapy with a handful of soldiers indicates. As well he managed to do what Eumenes could not: fight Antigonus - with all the latter's resources - to standstill and resultant rapproachment. He can only have done this with those satrapal forces at his disposal and few Macedonians.

It is one of the great pities of source preservation that book 21 of Diodorus is reduced to fragments. I, for one, would dearly love a narrative account of Seleucus' doings 311-302 - especially 311-308.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Military Cuisine Ramesses II 2 1,091 03-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek military pictures Carlton Bach 29 6,077 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Arthes
  What Interests You About the Greek Military? JRSCline 16 5,479 03-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Anonymous