Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research questions for a book
Quote:Yes, I'm reading a series of novels now, set on Hadrian's Wall, and the author easily promotes the primus pilus up to command of a legion. OK in wartime, but anathema for anything longer than a short-term measure for the class-conscious Romans. Its the 'Gladiator' problem. Modern army sensibilities slapped onto the ancient world. It helps if you think of a legion as a 'government department', commanded by a political appointee. Of course this appointee has lots of life-long civil servants (soldiers and centurions) to do the work. In a couple of years the appointee will be in some other government department, diplomacy, foreign affairs or policing the capital!

Ooh, just happened across this. Primus Pilus to Legatus? Please help me here, because I'm the author and I can't remember promoting a Primus Pilus to Legatus at any point.

I do recall:

a) promoting a Prefect to Legatus at the end of book one - exigencies of wartime and all that...

b) and in consequence the auxiliary cohort's PP being allowed to run the cohort for a short time until the new Prefect turns up to take over (although receiving no promotion).

Perhaps I've missed something? If so, do please remind me. Contrary to apparently popular belief I do put quite a lot of effort into my research.

Best regards,

Tony.
Quote:
Mithras post=298445 Wrote:Yes, the Empire series. I've had to give up on book 3, though. All these Tungrian's have suddenely been recruited into a cavalry wing and are now charging around on horseback. Maybe I'm just a dyed in the wool infantryman, but cavalry has always been a big turn-off for me. I just can't read any further! :o

Nathan Ross post=298210 Wrote:
Mithras post=298201 Wrote:I'm reading a series of novels now, set on Hadrian's Wall, and the author easily promotes the primus pilus up to command of a legion. OK in wartime, but anathema for anything longer than a short-term measure for the class-conscious Romans.
Is that Anthony Riches' series? I've only read the first two so far (too busy reading hefty novels about India!), so I can't comment on the accuracy of his rank structures. But, as you say, Primus Pilus to Legatus would be unorthodox at best...

Well, if I recall correctly, auxiliary cavalry was better paid than auxiliary infantry...so those troops would have an incentive to serve in cavalry... But that'd probably mean permanent transfer and not temporary assignment like in book. Cool

Once again I find myself taking gentle exception to your views, Paul. The actual plot line in Fortress of Spears (or at least as I recall it) was that a squadron of empty saddled cavalry horses (due to a previous action) are detached from their Ala and attached to the auxiliary cohort in question, to be ridden by those infantrymen who have a vague idea which end of the horse eats and which end pumps out the brown stuff. At no point do I recall the Tungrians upping sticks en masse and joining any cavalry units. I do recall having our hero join them for a couple of rides (and a fight or two), which is admittedly a bit of a literary device to make the story more interesting to the reader, but the phrase 'all those Tungrians have suddenly been recruited into a cavalry wing' is a bit rich.

Criticise by all means, there are all sorts of ways you can have a go at my work if Amazon is any guide (characterisation, plot, swearing, etc etc), but please make the effort to make it factual, eh? What with this and the example I've highlighted above, you seem to be having a right go at me - but in a factually incorrect manner.

By the way Paul (Elliott), I've just realised what a spooky co-incidence I've noticed here! You started posting these crits of the Empire series just after I took equally gentle exception to a review someone called Mrs C Elliott posted about 'Fortress of Spears' on Amazon. She's not all that prolific though, given that the only other book she's ever reviewed is yours - although she seemed to like it quite a lot! Anyway, what a coincidence that you should start posting at just the same time. What are the odds of that, eh?

Tony.
Quote:Ooh, just happened across this. Primus Pilus to Legatus? Please help me here, because I'm the author and I can't remember promoting a Primus Pilus to Legatus at any point.

I do recall:

a) promoting a Prefect to Legatus at the end of book one - exigencies of wartime and all that...

Tony.

That's it! You have my full and unreserved apologies! I no longer had the book to check as normal, I was sure it was the pp that got promoted... damn. I got my military characters confused. No-one likes having their research criticised, including me, and so I must fall on my sword for that error.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Posting at about the same time is normal, I had just read all three books that month and they made a big impact on me. Alas, and unavoidably, I had to use my wife's Amazon account to post the review. However I do stand by my criticisms of the books and people are free to read them to gauge their own reaction when they encounter them (in my view, others love them: great!).

Quote:By the way Paul, I've just realised what a spooky co-incidence I've noticed here! You started posting these crits of the Empire series just after I took equally gentle exception to a review someone called Mrs C Elliott posted about 'Fortress of Spears' on Amazon.

Tony.
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Nah, your next magnum opus is safe. Two things I never do on Amazon:

1. Post reviews of stuff I haven't read;

2. Review my own work under a false name.

Because when one gets caught out one tends to look like a bit of a pr :mrgreen: ck, doesn't one?

Criticism of the books' style, characters, outcomes, Marcus's over perfection, the humour being a bit 'squaddie' - all fair game, be my guest. Although I'm still a bit naffed off that your wife...sorry, you...posted the bl**dy thing TWICE!!!! (and didn't take one of them down when I asked your wife...sorry, you...to do so. Your little mistake, Fortress of Spears with another two star review. I'll bet you'd have been furious in my shoes.

Bored now...
Say NICE things about each others books = Increased sales for both
Say BAD things about each others books = Decreased sales for both

I would pick the first option if I ever get a book written!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
It's hard to argue with... ;-)
Innocent on this score, luckily. Mrs Mithras posted up a link to my book's introduction that was elsewhere on the web, and she said not one word of the book's contents.

Quote:Nah, your next magnum opus is safe. Two things I never do on Amazon:

2. Review my own work under a false name.

Because when one gets caught out one tends to look like a bit of a pr :mrgreen: ck, doesn't one?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  research for historical novel. Two questions Sigurdrifa 31 5,183 07-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Stackferret