Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum patterns AD 150 - 200
There was a set of sheets going around some time back on here with shield images on it.
Cannot recall who compiled it though.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:There was a set of sheets going around some time back on here with shield images on it.
Cannot recall who compiled it though.

That would be great to see indeed.

Anyway, it is a pity that there is nothing like Notitia Dignitatum for this period. Smile
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
"The traditional winged thunderbolt legionary symbolism is absent from Dura [3rdC] rectangular shields. The thunderbolt is well known from from first and early second century monuments. However the motif is difficult to trace after the early second century, and it is quite possible that it was abandoned in the ... second ... century. It is virtually absent from the column of Marcus Aurelius (except perhaps in one scene) but this MAY BE because designs were painted on."

Simon James, Excavations at Dura Europus Final Report VII, pg. 164 (2004)
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:"The traditional winged thunderbolt legionary symbolism is absent from Dura [3rdC] rectangular shields. The thunderbolt is well known from from first and early second century monuments. However the motif is difficult to trace after the early second century, and it is quite possible that it was abandoned in the ... second ... century. It is virtually absent from the column of Marcus Aurelius (except perhaps in one scene) but this MAY BE because designs were painted on."

Simon James, Excavations at Dura Europus Final Report VII, pg. 164 (2004)

Thank you very much for this info.
Martin Vincursky
Trenčín
Slovakia
Quote:Has anybody ever put together a comprehensive compendium (book, database, website etc) of known Roman shield designs? It strikes me that there are actually quite a large number of them, well beyond the usual ones from Trajan's Column and the ND, and many from rather obscure and inaccessible sources. Off the top of my head, there are Republican sarcophagi, the galley relief from Praeneste, the columns of Marcus Aurelius and Theodosius, Arch of Constantine, Dura Europos (several, beyond the famous ones), Piazza Armerina mosaics, Mainz column bases, Puteoli reliefs, the Arch of Orange, various catacomb paintings, the Luxor frescoes, the Egyptian shield mentioned above, the Apamea stelae, the Alba bathhouse mosaics, and no doubt several others... An image of the source and a reconstruction drawing or painting would be pretty good.

An extensive, though not exhaustive, collection of shield patterns of all periods is illustrated and discussed in Phil Barker, The Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome, 4th ed., 1981 (Wargames Research Group), pp.82-108. Those of the Republican and Early Imperial period at least are said to be based upon drawings from monuments made by Paul McDonnell-Staff.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I have found only one page of this source I mentioned, if you are interested Martin.
PM me if you are interested in it.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel