Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Delbrucks \"History of the art of war\" worth it?
I am thinking of purchasing the first two volumes at the moment, and would like to know if they are worth buying - although the $45 cost seems to be rather low.
It's definitely worthy reading. Not sure whether it is worth space on the bookshelf at home. I've never had cause to refer to it during a writing project.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Delbruck is definitely worth reading, especially his analysis of Caesar's wars and his recognition that Greek ideas about uncountable Persian armies did not necessarily have anything to do with reality. He does tend to state things more strongly than the evidence allows.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:It's definitely worthy reading. Not sure whether it is worth space on the bookshelf at home. I've never had cause to refer to it during a writing project.

Well, since it's not to be found in any library in Latvia I know of, I'd be more than happy to use some of my shelf space for it. Big Grin

@Sean So... He's good as long as I take him with a grain of salt?
Quote:@Sean So... He's good as long as I take him with a grain of salt?
Yes. We have learned a bit in the past 90 years, and he borrowed a lot of ideas from his friends in the Prussian army, but he has some interesting ideas. The parts on ancient warfare have not aged badly but he does have some fixed ideas.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.