Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Consular dating system: when did the practice end?
Avete,

Alongside the Roman AUC dating system there was the old Republican system of naming the calendar year after the reigning consuls. When did this system die out?

I know Justinian abolished the office of Consul in the mid-sixth century but I believe the title was retained by later emperors. So, did the consular dating system morph into the regnal year system of numbering the years of the reigning emperor?

Or did the practice die out long before ?

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:So, did the consular dating system morph into the regnal year system of numbering the years of the reigning emperor?

Apparently.

Quote:As time went on, consular dating lost its independence from regnal years, therefore, and under Phocas and Heraclius the consulate is less often mentioned and rarely without the regnal year.

Roger S Bagnall, Chronological Systems of Ancient Egypt

Evidently it was also used in this manner in the West:
Quote:This system [of post-consuls], using as a base the consulships of Justinus in 540 and of Basilius in 541, continued in some areas of the west, particularly Burgundy and the Rhone valley, where it persisted until the late seventh century, perhaps as a symbol of the area’s continuing romanitas, even though it had been annexed to the Frankish system.

Ken Dark External contacts and the economy of late Roman and post-Roman Britain
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thanks, David.

I have to correct myself about the consulship. It seems that Contans II was the last consul of Rome (i.e. the western consul). Then the office apparently lapses. Of course, consul dating in the empire surely ended long before that event.

~Theo
Jaime