Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Literature on Athenian bone collecting missions ?
Hello all,

I am following a Seminar at Leiden Univ about Death ritual and social structure in Classical Greece, part based on Morris and Sourvinou-Inwood et al and for the paper i have to write
I am looking for good literature specifically about Athenian bone collecting missions and Public-burials (State burials) of bones of the war dead which were collected mainly after the Peloponnesian wars of 431-404 BC.

A lot of Hoplitai were sent out and died abroad or outside the Athenian Polis and its territories itself and after the P.war Athens sent out several expeditions to collect bones of fallen Hoplitai. These collected bones were buried in mass funerals where the entire city populace had to be present, and were quite a venue. The return of bones/bodies of war dead often has been used as a weapon or leverage/diplomatic means to an end in ancient Greece and I would like to know if there is any literature available on the subject other than what I have found so far :

Pritchett, W. Kendrick The Greek state at war 4
Pritchett, W. Kendrick The Greek state at war 5
Pritchett, W. Kendrick The Greek state at war 3
Pritchett, W. Kendrick The Greek state at war 2
Pritchett, W. Kendrick The Greek state at war 1

Clairmont, Christoph W. Patrios Nomos

Bridges, Emma Cultural responses to the Persian wars (not nessecarily useful but might be interesting nonetheless).

Any ideas welcome !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.