Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating systems: BC and AD, or BCE and CE?
Quote:On the other hand, it's self-criticism and the awareness that our own prejudices are not shared by others, that gives western civilization one of its competetive advantages. We're open to other ideas. That's practical if you want to debate them.
Although I agree with the essence of that statement, I think it's wrong to change something like your dating system 'superficially'. I totally disagree with some opinions voiced here that the BC/AD system is either 'impolite', 'offensive' or similarly negative. It's part of our culture. No more, no less.

To those who do not want to use it, don't. Create a another system, based on some non-religious, non-political yet changing event in history. Do NOT use the Christian system but pretend it's not a Christian system.

To all those who are somehow ofended by the BC/AD system but not the BCE/CE system I say: "please use your mind and think beyond a few letters".
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Dating systems: BC and AD, or BCE and CE? - by Robert Vermaat - 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM