Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenistic trophy - montefortinos?
On holiday in Kos, there was this lovely Hellenistic trophy on display in the museum (apologies for the slightly terrible quality).

[Image: 31910310150854041785263.jpg]

What is interesting to me is the combination of Hellenic equipment (kopis sword, greaves, what appears to be an overturned shield) with what appears to be 2 montefortino helmets, one upside down.

Are there any records or other images which show montefortino helmets being worn by late hellenic soldiers?
Jack
No help to you, but that is a nice find!

I imagine there were all sorts of equipment in the Hellenistic armies, as possibly Celtic mercenaries would have been part of their numbers.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The monument is hellenistic apart from that uncertain dating.

205 B.C. Cretan Wars Cretans allies of Philip V attack cos and Rhodes.
Cretans were supported by Philip with with mercenaries. That might explain gallic helmtes

183 B.C. Pergamon beats the Galatians and cos allies with Pergamon.
If this was part of the stele upon which the treaty was engraved that might also explain the gallic helmets.
Also Eumenes B paid for the reconstruction of the temple of Asclepeos. He would like to boast about his victory.

Kind regards
Thanks for the info, so you believe the helmets to be from Galatian mercenaries then?

Was curious as on other trophies I've seen the celtic equipment always seems to be seperate to hellenistic stuff.
Jack

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Samothracian Trophy and Ship Depiction Andrew Magee 0 1,037 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Andrew Magee