Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gladius hispaniensis late republic period
Before all, let me introduce myself, I'm an italian reenactor, recently i do some event with the Cohors II Praetoria, I love all the period of Rome, but there is one thing that is very strange for me.... why in the late repubblic, in the cesarean period the gladiu hispaniensis became to have a long and massive blade than the classical republican blade... for example the "classical blade" is 60 cm/ 23,6 inch long and 4,5 cm/ 1,7 inch large while the late republican blade ( for example Delos ) is 65 cm/ 25,5 inch long and 5,7 cm/ 2,2 inch large... why in the late repubblica the blade become too massive ? is there a particular reason with the fancing of that period ?
thank you :wink:
Fascinating question ( as I am most interested in this period, and the lack of evidence we have). In summary I apologize for the lack of an informative response I am able to give, and hope that someone more knowledgable will soon reply.

Alexander
Alexander

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tasks and age of Military Tribunes during the Late Republic and Principate Corvus 8 747 12-11-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Flavius Inismeus
  The Roman Balteus during the late Republican Period Reznikov12 4 1,117 04-19-2020, 08:44 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Late republic deployment McClane 1 1,576 11-02-2016, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Bryan