Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centuries - Front/Back Right/Left
So I finally found only historical source that I have seen for having the centuries in a maniple side by side instead of front to back. Polybius, (6:24,8-9) But even they are confusing since I read two different translations of the lines today and they differ slightly but enough for me to be confused.

"When both centurions are on the spot, the first elected commands the right half of the maniple and the second the left, but if both are not present the one who is commands the whole."

"When the two centurions are both on the field, the first elected commands the right of the maniple, the second the left. If one is not there, the one who is commands the whole."

What is the general opinions of these lines? Are they referring to where the centurions are standing in relation to the maniple's formation or to the centuries themselves?

Is there any other ancient sources that wrote about whether the prior was to the right of the posterior or that they were organized front to back like their names imply?
Please state sources not opinion.
Well, in cases like this I would always check the Latin (or greek) version of the text as it survived. I don't see much of a problem with the different transaltions you come up with, but sometimes they differ much more and it's better to check the original words yourself.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Unfortunately I don't read or understand greek or latin. I was looking at for those on this sight that have them stationed in a maniple right to left and later in cohorts right to left to give their sources so I can read them.
Me neither. At least not to any extend. But I can try to find the 'original' text, get a good dictionary and work through that one sentence myself.
ALA I BATAVORUM