Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photos from Marathon
I think that was the idea of the shield designs in many cases..to be disturbing!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Those hardly look like the ethnic Persian elites at Marathon.
Think of it as a small-scale representation of the variety of imperial forces! I think, if we were going to have only a dozen or so, it was better for there to be Skythians, Thrakians and Ionians too instead of only Persians.

... That having been said, next time it might be nice to have enough of each to form solid-looking contingents. In fact, ever since the second day of Marathon, I've been thinking we should hold a recruitment campaign for the next round of events in Greece.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Peteris Racinskis post=297854 Wrote:Those hardly look like the ethnic Persian elites at Marathon.
Think of it as a small-scale representation of the variety of imperial forces! I think, if we were going to have only a dozen or so, it was better for there to be Skythians, Thrakians and Ionians too instead of only Persians.

... That having been said, next time it might be nice to have enough of each to form solid-looking contingents. In fact, ever since the second day of Marathon, I've been thinking we should hold a recruitment campaign for the next round of events in Greece.
According to Herodotus, at Marathon there were only Persians, Anatolian Greeks and Scythians in the Achaemenid army. The Scythians were very likely the cavalry, since that's what they excelled at.

If only I could partake in such an event... I'd outfit myself with a wicker Spara, a spear, a scale cuirass and an akinaka, to portray an ethnic Persian infantryman.
Were there cavalry at marathon?
I cannot recall any mention of them in regards to the battle,
Just a vauge recollection of mention of the army disembarking!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Were there cavalry at marathon?
I cannot recall any mention of them in regards to the battle,
Just a vauge recollection of mention of the army disembarking!

The cavalry did not take part in the battle, but according to most historians there was about 1000 horse there.
Hmmmm, interesting!
I seem to have recalled them never making it ashore!
Do these historians state whether they did make it off the ships at all?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hmmmm, interesting!
I seem to have recalled them never making it ashore!
Do these historians state whether they did make it off the ships at all?

No one knows, although given that Marathon was quite a surprise attack and the terrain was not good for cavalry, I would say it does not matter.
Peter--please speak carefully, avoid assertion and document your statements.

First, I think most current historians think that the Saka were dismounted in the center.

Second, historians are deeply divided about the presence of cavalry. On balance, it seems likely that there were at least some mounted Persians. It is very unlikely they were Saka--because it is unlikely that their horses would have been transported in preference to noble Medes and Persians. There seems to be strong evidence that there were mounted Persians int he fighting. Reconstructions of the painting in the painted Stoa of Athens all feature at least some horsemen. I recommend further reading--Peter Krentz's latest, Marathon, is very, very solid. NB--Saka frequently served dismounted in Persian armies. Or rather, it appears so from the evidence. This may be because they were really ethnic Sindi and Maeotians in Saka dress--even Hyrkanians and Northern Lydians--no Greek would have know the difference.

Peter, the people in the kits you are, to me, dissing, have put in a great deal of work. And research. Please validate your opinion with specific criticisms and sources.

Gaius, we do know that the cavalry made it ashore--they were instrumental in crushing the Euboeon Army a few days before Marathon, and there is much speculation as to what happened to them then. Again, look at Krentz's book, not because every theory he offers is correct, but because he summarizes ALL the known evidence in an unbiased manner.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Thanks Kineas, the Euboean engagement slipped my mind entirely!
Seems it's time to unpack the boxes and start re-reading things!
And I will look out that book too! Confusedmile:

And apart from them being Persians...they look pretty good to me! :mrgreen:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Okay, okay, sorry.
Me too, Peter. i crossed the "pompous arse" line. Apologies!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.