Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scutata
Hi

I've found the name of the following cohors equitata-unit 'Cohors I Lusitanorum Cyrenaica Scutata equitata'

What does the scutata mean? Is this a type of weapon or a type of equipment or ... ?

tnx
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
"Scutum" is a shield.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
so the only difference is that they wear scuta iso the usual clipeus?
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
All we know is that it had three adjectives in its title: "Cyrenean shielded mounted". I would check a big reference on auxilliae to find out what else we know about units with this title.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
It would be interesting to know the context in which you found the reference to this unit.

My initial thoughts are as follows. It is a cohors equitata, so it will have been a part-mounted unit having both infantry and cavalry elements in it. It was initially recruited from Spaniards from Lusitania but the title Cyrenaica implies that it later had a long or otherwise distinguished association with that province. Scutata may be translated as 'shield-bearing' but this could apply to any unit, so it must have a greater significance here. It could mean that one or other of the elements within the unit was equipped with a particular type of shield (possibly, but not necessarily, the curved legionary shield) or employed tactics involving the use of the shield in a particular manner or both, as one will often depend upon the other. A study of other units of scutati in the army may indicate what the meaning of this term might be.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
i'll try to explain .

I first saw this yesterday when reading the book 'late roman army'. The author was talking about Gallienus cavalry and on page 12 she mentions 'scutarii'. have searched on the net and encountered this cohors I Lusitanorum.

have searched things out yesterday evening and according to cohors2 (Spaul); there are 2 scutata-regiments :

Cohors I Lusitanorum Cyrenaica Scutata equitata
Cohors II Hispanorum Cyrenaica Scutata equitata

Apparently he could not tell what these units were exactly.

The point that these are soldiers equipped with the scutum is very interesting but yesterday evening i was thinking about another possibility too:

I once read that during the Spanish wars, the Spaniards had a type of soldier which was known as the scutarius. since these are iberian units, i'm now wondering whether there is a link.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
A scutarius can also mean the maker of shields.