Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Soldiers Handbook
This has just been published by Usborne at 7.99 ISBN 0746056281 by Lesley Sims illustrations Ian Mcnee.<br>
Its a childs book with lots of cartoons but it has all the basic stuff in it in a form where anybody can read it in half an hour.<br>
In the Guard we tend to get vistors?tiros who are fresh out of the sealed Knot (and worse)and know little Roman. Give them this book and they can answer all the usual questions from the public and even know a bit of Roman history. It has the Guard commands in it and a dedication to the Guard . It does however hedge its bets on tunic colour so we have red and white tunics but sorry no blue. Basically every unit should have one well thumbed copy. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
"who are fresh out of the sealed Knot"<br>
<br>
the what? I know what a damper and boot are, but what the heck? And I'm sure Luca wont' know this one. <p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich, I am reasonably certain that Derek is referring to The Society of the Sealed Knot, probably the best known of the English Civil War reenactment groups (in the 1600's-Think of Charles I and Cromwell). Cross over interest from other periods' reenactment groups happens often.<br>
<br>
Derek, I have a question for you. How can someone order the book in question? I am in the US, just so you know. Will it be offered via Amazon.co.uk?<br>
<br>
I have several childrens' books in my rather extensive collection of books on the Roman Army. Pictures/illustrations are important to me, being a collector of pictures of Roman soldiers, whether drawn, painted or photographed(reenactors), etc.<br>
<br>
You can reach me privately on my email at [email protected] <br>
<br>
I am sure others will be interested, too.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Quinton/Marcus Quintius Clavus <p></p><i></i>
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Yes, yes, I am interested. I like books with pictures. Quite a few of my reference books are for young people. <p><span style="color:orange;">If you think the problem is bad, wait until you hear the solution</span></p><i></i>
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obi...21-6608658<br>
This is the UK amazon reference and you can get it for 6.99 . Standard issue on joining. <p></p><i></i>
I just received the "Roman soldier's Handbook" and I give it a favorable review. I love the cartoons. A couple points of contention though, the drill given significantly differs from what most legios in the USA use and the book's comment about the scutum carrying straps connecting to the just the cover doesn't make any sense. Anyone who has carried a scutum about his shoulder realizes that the straps would promptly tear if the straps were not firmly attached to the scutum itself, not just the cover. The cover is there to protect the shield, nothing more. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks Rich and Quintius,<br>
in fact it was not clear. <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Yes the straps reference is wrong; we missed that but the orders are correct as per Guard practice but even that is not standardised in the UK. The 11nd Augusta even start off on the right foot whereas the Guard uses the left. Nobody knows what the original drill was. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handbook to Roman Legionary Fortresses mcbishop 4 1,410 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Handbook to the Roman Wall, Fourteenth Edition mcbishop 5 1,636 02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Carus Andiae