New Book on Roman Swords
By Simon James, no less.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
An affordable one, in English too.
I wonder if it is as in depth as Miks...lol
Thanks for the link MC
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hmmm...the write up makes me a bit suspicious about the way this had been handled. This is one I'd want to get my hands on before buying...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
interesting...... 8-)
Samuel J.
The description don't sounds to me that it is a book on Roman swords, rather an overall Roman military history.

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
We will see, I ordered the book yesterday Cool !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:The description don't sounds to me that it is a book on Roman swords, rather an overall Roman military history.

Greets

The summary and chapter headings on the publisher's website seem to support your thoughts:-

Rome’s dominion was achieved through soldiers’ ferocity and excellent weaponry, but to maintain it the conquered were integrated; diplomacy accompanied the threat of the sword. Allies and subjects became Romans themselves – millions through military service, bringing with them new arms and tactics, from Spanish swords and Gallic armour to Parthian horse-archery. Yet the soldiers’ aggression also inadvertently precipitated the rise of enemies in the east and north who would ultimately bring the empire to its knees, never in the west to rise again.

Contents
• Preface
• Introduction: Swords and Soldiers
• Prelude: Shock and Aw – The Unexpected Rise of Rome
• 1 Forging the Roman Sword: The Republic to 270 BC
• 2 Obsessed with Victory: The Imperial Republic 270-30 BC
• 3 'Our Weapons and Armour': The Earlier Empire 30 BC-AD 167
• 4 Deadly Embraces The Middle Empire: 167-269
• 5 Empire of the Soldiers: Forging the Dominate 269-376
• 6 Swords of God: Extinctions and Transformations 376-565
Conclusion: Rome and the Sword
Timeline, Notes, Bibliography, Sources of Illustrations, Index
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks Matt! Doesn't diminish my interest on the book at all...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Yeah, that would make sense going by the title!
The chapter on forgeing the sword could be interesting!
Let us know Virilis!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That's useful, Matt; thanks

Would you be so very kind as to give us a review, Virilis?

It is sounding more like a military history - ie how the sword was used - as opposed to information on the development of the sword in Roman history. (Well, that's what I would have expected from the title anyway. Perhaps my perceptions are wrong?)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
No thats the way it looks, I was blinded by the thread title. Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I will give a review when I have read the book!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Just got the book, some quick impressions!

It has PLENTY of line drawings of swords and colour pics too. In addition it draws heavily on the latest evidence on roman swords (Christian Miks etc.), evolutive patterns, you name it! It has for example graphic descriptions of pompeian troops committing atrocities and torturing the captives, comments on sword fighting techniques etc. Can't wait to have the time to read this, I have a feeling that this book can set a new standard on books about roman warfare. Btw, lots of info on other equipment too, intertwined on a supposedly very exciting narrative history. Yowza Big Grin !!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Sounds good!
Guess i will gewt it for the winter!
If it turns out bad, I can use it for lighting the fires! 8-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:It has PLENTY of line drawings of swords and colour pics too. In addition it draws heavily on the latest evidence on roman swords (Christian Miks etc.), evolutive patterns, you name it!
Seems the thread title was not so wrong after all :lol:

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  book swords is out maarten 17 4,736 02-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Conal
  Book on Roman Swords/Daggers? Anonymous 10 1,886 01-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus