Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Type of Armour?
I've been given permission to put up my photos of the armour but there is also the link here which shows the relationship between the Mithraic piece and the scales before it was lifted ar Caerleon:

http://www.britarch.ac.uk/caf/uploads/CL...Detail.jpg

and my pictures from the blocks in the lab are attached.

Notice the nail head to give you a scale (although the link above also has a 5cm scale on it too).

Now, in my fanciful brain, if you rotate the picture in the link above through 90 degrees to the right, I think it becomes clearer what it is!! :wink: :wink:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
OK, I am probably on the wrong track here, but a Squamata hook set?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not wishing to throw any cats in amongst any pigeons, the fitting with the 'Mithras' head (it is just a head in a Phrygian cap, comparable to a piece from Castleford, so no need to see it as overtly mithraic) reminded me of something and, when I visited Vindolanda again the other day, my suspicions seemed to be confirmed. Chamfron fitting, anyone?

[Image: chamfron.jpg]

The picture of the Caerleon 'armour' discs is not very detailed but they look as if they might have the same concentric rings on the underside as apron studs.

All in all, very intriguing ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Well the you go! lol
Perhaps a chamfron!! And the rider wearing a segmentata!!! :-P Cool

But seriously, that makes more sense than a head piece for a priest!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Full marks Mr Bishop! :wink: Big Grin

(Well, I would think it was a chamfron wouldn't I, but the position of the other copper alloy discs on the photograph in the link certainly persuades me!!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Now thats a project I will try! :grin:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Now thats a project I will try! :grin:
What, a chamfron? But it's a sort of gimp mask for horses! Confusedhock: To each his own... :wink:

Mike Bishop

Well, your friends are right into them, so i guess your right..... :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If it is a chamfron in amoungst the other armour, then may I suggest that perhaps the scale armour is also associated with the horse, could it be clibanarii horse armour?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
That's an interesting thought!

Sorry mike didn't mean to offend you with the reply!
However! :mrgreen: The horses I have seen wearing them
Didn't seem too uncomfortable with them, apart from one wearing a scale
One that he couldn't get used to. I imagine the rider has worked on it since then though!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I know there hasn't been any update on this for a while as, unfortunately, the lovely lady at Cardiff Museum in charge of recording and conserving the "new armour" has been very unwell Sad

That said, however, I have come across another small "head in a cap" piece associated with horse equipment (added to that from Castleford).

It is mentioned in Curle's 1911 book on Newstead, on plate LXXVII amongst the miscellaneous phalerae and if the forum would let me I'd put the picture up!!
Moi Watson

Quote:That said, however, I have come across another small "head in a cap" piece associated with horse equipment (added to that from Castleford).

It is mentioned in Curle's 1911 book on Newstead, on plate LXXVII amongst the miscellaneous phalerae and if the forum would let me I'd put the picture up!!
It is available online here:
http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platelxxvii.htm
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thank you!

<slaps forehead> Didn't think of doing it that way!

The Castleford example is also attached for comparison.

(As a further example of my limited technical ability, you'll have to rotate it :mrgreen: )

Attached Files
.pdf   CastlefordPhalerae_1.pdf (Size: 105.78 KB / Downloads: 1)
Moi Watson

Quote:(As a further example of my limited technical ability, you'll have to rotate it :mrgreen: )
Or stand on your head. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
In London for the scanning of the Crosby Garrett Helmet yesterday, I was reminded in conversation with Ralph Jackson that the Ribchester Hoard Minerva phalera may have come from the circular setting on a leather chamfron and that it had a close parallel in a fitting from Elginhaugh.

This set me to thinking about the phalerae from Castleford and Newstead mentioned above. Since both depict heads with Phrygian caps similar in style to the chamfron studs, these discs may also be chamfron ornaments.

Finally, in other chamfron-related news, I note that the Portable Antiquities Scheme records a possible chamfron stud from the middle of the Greensforge complex of early military sites south-west of Wolverhampton.

Mike Bishop