Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Händel\'s Giulio Cesare opera
I'm a sucker for the opera, so I was excited to see that Händel's Giulio Cesare was coming to Helsinki this winter season.

The Wikipedia entry seems interesting enough, although to put it politely historical accuracy may not have been Händel's prime concern.

Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Interesting -- Thanks for the link!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Can safely say I am not that au fait with this particular opus!

But, being Handel I am sure it'll be a delight to the ears if not necessarily historically accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqeCP9E5dI
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I have seen it about 10 years ago. Opera is a matter of taste, so you may like it or you may not. Historical accuracy was not a big thing then.

I do recomend Claudio Monteverdi's "Coronation of Poppea" writen about 1620 I think. ONe of the first operas written as such.Some historical accuracy, some mistakes. It was out on VCR and I do not know if it is out on DVD. One of my favorites. Do not expect the armor to be accurate.

Ralph
Thanks for the video. I'll definitely go see it.

The Coronation of Poppea looks good, too. I'd like to see it performed live.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
The "Coronation" is not preformed live anywhere, to my knowledge. But it does have singing Praetorian Guardsmen complaining about the deterioating state of the Empire, which other period operas lack.

The one I have and recomend is London Label, 1991 Monteverdi L'INCORONAZIONE DI POPPEA by the Monteverdi Ensemble of Zuric Opera House, Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Directed by Jean-Pierre Ponenllle. Original production, 1979. This Nikolaus Harnoncourt production is out on DVD, BTW, and is the best in my opinion.

Monteverdi wrote some short one act opertas which include Il Combatamento de Tancredi e Clorinda, where Tancredi is sung by a tenor, the narator by a bass and Clorinda by a woman. Tancredi kills the Moorish knight Clorinda and discovers it is his own daughter by a medalion he found under her armor.

One day when I was do the policeman thing, I came on duty to find the last shift had arrested one of our local thugs who we arrest ever week or so and some how is never sent to prison. Why is never explained. Anyway, he was in a holding cell screaming bad words and making a nusance of his self. The outgoing shift told me that he wanted me to sing opera for him. I after some deliberation I sugguested that he would probabally like "Il Combtamento". I "sang" all three parts. I use the term sing in the most liberal interpretation, since this is something I do not do well at all. I did not get very far when the outgoing shift started to throw things at me and the local thug was screaming he would shut up if only I would. Please!. He did behave until he was booked. I was told never to do that again as we could be sued for mistreatment of a prisoner. Too bad "Il Combatamento" was one of my favorites.

Ralph