Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus construction questions...
Hello Crivspvs,

I also know of a pugio grip made from ivory. I think its in Michele Feguers book. Thanks for the examples....I totally forgot about the Herculaneum soldier although I have seen and read just about everything on the armor. Would you happen to have photos of the other two you mentioned? I would really be interested.

However, having said the above, the fact that they are replacement pieces and NOT what originally would go onto a pugio, I'd say not to reproduce them. This sort of thing where a replacement part can be used to describe something on an item which normally does not have it, will, to the uninformed, appear to be normal.

To us the infamous trooper helmet is out of the question but to the casual observer all the helmets are just fine. In my humble opinion it is our responsibility to present things that were normally the way they appeared to the best of our ability. Occasionally some extrapolation is required and I am good for that since we can only guess on what we know. However, when actual pugio examples are known with repetitive features, the safest thing is to go with those features.

I am ALL for variety and appearance....far be it for me to suggest that the Romans were homogenous. In this case, I think that for him, a proper pugio grip would serve him better and it would be far more accurate.

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Balteus construction questions... - by Magnus - 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Crispvs - 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM