Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus construction questions...
Hello Quintus,

Nice work.....well done. I like to see people making their own things. I will go ahead with a belt soon enough. At the moment I am making a squamata and cannot do anything else until its done.

I would not be too concerned about how perfect rivets were. If you look at actual finds, you can see that not all the rivets were the same or perfectly finished after peening. This idea of how perfect, neat, or clean something looks is way too modern. Imperfections are the order of the day. Having said that, you cannot make terrible looking things. Roman armor was well made but not gleaming perfect the way many re-enactors have their kit.

I think the peen job is great as are the washers. The only comment I would make is the pugio hilt. To my knowledge there are no pugio hilts of that nature. What you have is a Main gladius type hilt. You should try to make an actual pugio hilt for the impression to be proper in terms of the pugio. There will be some who may mention....well there is no evidence that pugio hilts were not like that. Well, there is no evidence so there is no point to create a re-enactorism. Of course if there is evidence for such a hilt, then by all means use it...AND....I would like to see it. It would take a whole load off my shoulders since I would like to attempt at making a pugio and what turns me off is the hilt because of all the inlays in the really nice ones.

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Messages In This Thread
Re: Balteus construction questions... - by Magnus - 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Crispvs - 09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Balteus construction questions... - by Doc - 09-14-2013, 10:06 PM