Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum balance point
I have recently made a replica scutum with a handle beneath the boss. However, when it is held like this the balance point is wrong. Does anyone have any idea what was done about this? Thanks

I have suggested that the middle laminate had discs cut out and replaced with lead but I do not know. Thanks again
A handle beneath the boss would cause the shield to be top heavy. I'd make it center I mean your forearm is gonna touch inside of the shield anyway. If I understand you correctly.
The hand grip should be horizontal and central across the inner hole however there is a method that is cheating of course, get a soft foam buffing pad cover it in soft leather and glue it just above the hole and this not only helps level things out but makes it kinder on the wrist.
Brian Stobbs
Hi Guys, thanks a lot for your answers. I'm sorry my question wasn't quite clear. What i had meant was that, if the handle was under the boss then was anything done to balance it. thanks again

Sorry, i mean that the handle was in the centre of the shield with the boss protecting the hand. Really sorry for any confusion. thanks again
I tend to compensate by making the handle squarish or ovoid rather than round, the better to control it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Richard.
That is a very good idea that I have not come across before and it sounds like you are very aware of the term weight over area where it can be controled.
Brian Stobbs
Sorry, do u have any pictures of this? i get what you mean but pictures would help. Thanks loads
If you mean me and the grips I have made I'll do that tomorrow. I have an earlier shield by Matt Amt that has a nearly round grip that only allows one to move it sideways. The oval and rectangular grips allow you to move it all over the place and control the shield in more dimensions. Of course, that may have not been the way they used them but it makes replicating the movements on carvings easier.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius Weight and Balance Anonymous 3 1,772 02-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Gladius balance Anonymous 10 6,653 01-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus