Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladiators Training Soldiers
Quote:I imagine that it would be like a modern drill sergeant being expected to take orders from a WWF wrestler. In Roman society they are no better than actors and prostitutes.
Actually the WWF wrestler analogy is quite wrong as I did outline in my post above.
The Infamia shared between Gladiators, prostitutes and actors was caused by all of them "selling" their bodys to provide for their living, nothing more.
Vegetius in his Vegetius De Re Militari advocates the return of the training at the Palus and says (Veg. DRM II.23):
Armaturam, quae festis diebus exhibetur in circo, non tantum armaturae, qui sub campidoctore sunt, sed omnes aequaliter contubernales cotidiana meditatione discebant
Translated by Lieutenant John Clarke (1767):
Not only those under the masters at arms, but all the soldiers in general, were formerly trained incessantly in those drills which now are only exhibited as shows in the circus for particular solemnities.
Here Vegetius is refering to skills of arms that in his time are only exhibited in the circus (exhibetur in circo) though I would consider this a reference to Gladiator combat.

Refering to the training with the Palus Vegetius writes (Veg. DRM XI):
Palorum enim usus non solum militibus sed etiam gladiatoribus plurimum prodest. Nec umquam aut harena aut campus inuictum armis uirum probauit, nisi qui diligenter exercitatus docebatur ad palum.
This is an invention (the Palus) of the greatest use, not only to soldiers, but also to gladiators. No man of either profession ever distinguished himself in the circus or field of battle, who was not perfect in this kind of exercise.

So Vegetius, in lamenting the poor fighting skills of the Soldiers of his time, advised to take up training exercises he knows from the sources mentioned above.
He also frequently mentiones the Armatura as a military skill almost forgotten in his time. The way he uses this word hints at what could be interpreted as a Roman Martial Art that was practised by Gladiators and Soldiers alike.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany

Messages In This Thread
Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-10-2011, 04:20 AM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Olaf - 09-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Olaf - 09-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Dan Howard - 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Re: Gladiators Training Soldiers - by Bryan - 09-30-2011, 11:41 PM