Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JSTOR now provides free access to old articles
Perhaps as a reaction to some negative publicity, JSTOR is now releasing their older articles, that are not copyrighted any more (published prior to 1923 in the United States and prior to 1870 in the rest of the world), so everybody can access them for free on their website.

Hurray!
Quote:prior to 1923 in the United States and prior to 1870 in the rest of the world)
Well... Even though I agree it's a positive thing, I am in a bit of a doubt as to the real scientific value of articles publishe before 1870.. or even 1923. I mean, that's 88 years ago. How time flies.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I do not agree, Robert. Just for example I have done some reaserch about the battle of Carrhae. I think I have read most of the important publications about this event (not all, I admit - I know about two relevant publications in Italian, one in French and one in English, which I haven't read so far), including a recent book (published in 2008) by G. C. Sampson. And I am of the opinion that the best overall analysis of the battle is still an article by K. Regling published in 1907.

In my other studies I have often read articles published before 1923 and found many of them very useful.

Therefore I'm sure that offering even such old studies is great and can be really helpful.
Quote:Therefore I'm sure that offering even such old studies is great and can be really helpful.
Oh, you misunderstood me, of course I agree that some studies are still useful. But I'm not making any loop-the-loops for joy, because I know what articles are still behind the 'iron curtain', so to speak. JRMES may have been influenced by the recent attention to this problem of journals being unavailable to the general public (despite them having paid for them already), but a release of anything up to 1981 would have been something. Many comparable journals already publish everything older than 3 years.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Still good news, however.

Members in the UK might like to know that they can access JSTOR free through their local library...
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:Still good news, however.

Members in the UK might like to know that they can access JSTOR free through their local library...

...if they have one that hasn't been closed by the Government/Local Authority cut backs!!!! My "local" library is about 30 miles away now Sad
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Members in the UK might like to know that they can access JSTOR free through their local library...

Not everywhere, alas. Certainly not in Bedford - "Too academic for us and very expensive".
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free access to Oldenbourg and Akademie til Aug 31 Dan Diffendale 0 912 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale
  Free journal articles (in Spanish) on ancient siege warfare Eleatic Guest 0 1,231 01-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Free French Articles Francois 3 1,557 10-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Francois