Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what historical story would you like to see in
Having seen a big response from the Boudica movie topic I thought it might be interesting to ask everyone what historical story would you like to see made into a epic film?

I thought of the following.

Battle of Kadesh
Hannibal
Hernan Cortez & the Aztecs
David & Goliath

Thoughts?
I've always thought 1066. Betrayl, love interest, divided loyalties, climactic final showdown.....the stories got it all. Just shudder to think what Holywood would do with it :roll:
Marc Byrne
Quote:I've always thought 1066. Betrayl, love interest, divided loyalties, climactic final showdown.....the stories got it all. Just shudder to think what Holywood would do with it :roll:

They'd cast the bloke that played Oliver in the musical to play Harold....

But yes, 1066. The story of the whole year though, from the death of Edward on 4th January to The Bastard's coronation on Christmas Day.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Yes, that would be epic.
However, I forsee epic FAIL as a possibility..... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Jewish revolt and the destruction of the Temple!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Sulla.
Battle of Teutoberg Forest would be a good tragedy.
Phoenicians circumnavigating Africa could be a fun adventure movie.
The Fall of Constantinople.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I've thought about this before: the over-running of Hadrian's Wall, and the imposition of a tyrannical governor and the invasion to set things right by Septimius Severus and his sons, and their astrologer/magician mother. Eldest son rides north with crippled father to slaughter the Caledonians, with Getae back at HQ politicking with his magician/mother.

Then eldest son tries unsuccessfully to assassinate his father. He is forgiven, the brothers are forced to co-operate by a dying Severus back at HQ. He dies, eldest son gives up the Caledonian War, refuses to have anything to do with Geta, building partitioning walls in the palace back at Rome. The two sons rule like this, until poor old Geta is assassinated.

It reads like a soap opera, it should make a brilliant movie if written well.

Never happen! Wink
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Roman:

Catalina's Conspiracy - Roman political thriller, with battles!

or/

The Reign of Elagabalus - speaks for itself! Great toilet-death scene.

Non-Roman:

The Anglo-Japanese war of 1863-4 - Steamships against samurai! :-)
Nathan Ross
Year of the Four Emperors; AD69

None ancient: The Jarrow Crusade(google it...)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I've thought about this before: the over-running of Hadrian's Wall
Happened more than once I think. Severus'career could be a nice topic indeed.

Adrianople 378, but we'd need to create a hero who escapes and saves Constantinople or somthing.. Wink

Rome 410, always a good one, but PLEASE no more fur-clad barbarians scaling the walls and pillaging churches etc.... :-x
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Having seen a big response from the Boudica movie topic I thought it might be interesting to ask everyone what historical story would you like to see made into a epic film?

I thought of the following.

Battle of Kadesh
Hannibal
Hernan Cortez & the Aztecs
David & Goliath

Thoughts?
I've read that Werner Herzog wanted to make film about Hernan Cortez years ago, but maybe he couldn't get it financed.
http://psicanzuelo.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html

my suggestions:
  • The Battle of Salamis
  • Biopic about Flavius Josephus
  • The era of Emperor Heraclius and Mohammed
  • (realistic) Film about the Vikings reaching N. America
  • 1st crusade
  • Albigensian Crusade
  • Battle of Crecy
  • Florence at the time of Savonarola's brief reign
  • Siege of Malta
  • Battle of Lepanto
  • The conspiracy against Wallenstein leading to his death in 1634 by Irish and Scottish colonels
  • Anglo Dutch War (2nd half of the 1600s)
  • Battle of Vienna
  • Biopic about Charles XII of Sweden
  • Battle of Culloden
  • German Civil War of 1866
  • Biopic about Carl Schurz
  • Biopic about Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Biopic about Quanah Parker, the Comache leader, who had a white mother
  • Little Wittgenstein and little Adolf going to the same school in Linz, Austria (comedy)
  • Germany in the first few years after the 1st World War
  • The sinking of HMS Royal Oak in 1939
  • The end of the Soviet Union 20 years ago
--- Marcus F. ---
On The Cortez and the Aztecs theme but specifically Bernal Diaz "The Conquest of New Spain" filmed from the point of view of an old man telling the story of his youth....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Julian the Apostate or Stilicho
I've written a novel about the Julian invasion of Persia, from the perspective of a legionary's war diary... who knows -> novel -> screenplay -> movie?! :o
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I would like to see a movie on the Fall of Constantinople!! Dramatic with the final battle with the fatal flaw, and action, and some love, and, um...ya...
Samuel J.