Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of whistles to relay commands in battle
Unfortunately the diagrams lost a lot of their detail when I posted it, to include the text so I will describe what you see:

I know there is a lot of controversy about the whole "Gap" idea but I believe that Polybius was not referring to maniple size gaps just for deploying the legions.

I think the answer lies with that the Romans came up with a formation designed to break up traditional shieldwalls and phalanxes. The formation was the maniple, a column of two centuries front to back which would give them depth (actual numbers and psychological edge).

Multiple sources write that is was unusual for the Romans not to charge the enemy instead taking the enemy charge and then counterattacking. So Roman tactics were based on ferocity, aggression and offensive spirit. They used the maniples similar to how Napolean later used similar columns, isolated attacks in mass against points of the enemy line to destroy their cohesion and order.

Perfect tactic when dealing with enemy that fight in shield walls, traditional greek phalanxes or Macedonian phalanx. Their fighting ability revolves around keeping their ranks together, if they lose order they will probably lose the battle. The only thing keeping the men alive is their cohesion, as soon as it is lost the cowards will run leaving the brave to die in the front ranks.

The problem with the maniple formation is it is unflexible and predictable. Since they always deployed in the same formation it would be easy for a smart enemy of Rome to come up with a way of beating them. (Hannibal at Trebia, Lake Trasimene, Cannae). The key to this formation is a smart Roman commander who will use it in the best terrain.

The most apparent weakness that most speak about are the gaps themselves. The enemy can flood into the gaps and attack the hastati maniple's sides. However this is exactly what the Romans want, to attack the gaps means that the enemy has to break ranks. While the Romans in back and sides hold the enemy off with pilum and swords the tribunes riding between the hastati and principes line will be waiting for the moment to start ordering the principes maniples forward. If the hastati maniples don't penetrate the enemy line and are stalled or if they start getting surrounded he orders centurions from the Principes maniples to advance.

If the enemy formation has surrounded the hastati maniples then that means that their cohesion has been lost, easy pickings for the attacking principes maniples. If the enemy kept their ranks then by deploying the principes maniples it would take pressure off of the Hastati maniples who could back off, regroup, shift posterior century to the front and then attack again.

Attack, get relieved by maniples attacking to the left and right of you, pull back, rest, drink water, attend to wounded, relieve centuries and attack again. Continue until victory. Simple and brutally efficient.

The main problem that comes is when the enemy formation has such numbers and depth that it is impossible for 120 - 160 men maniples to break through them. Also the depth of the enemy formation would allow the front rankers to surround and swallow up the maniples without losing general cohesiveness of the army. I believe this situation occurred in the 113 - 101 BC period when the Romans went to war against the massive Cimbri/Teutone/Ambrone confederation. The Germans together had an army of a half a million. When the uninspired Roman consuls with little imagination orders his army forward in normal triplex acies formation of maniples they were swallowed up. The men in the rear maniples watch it, get scared and run. Once they run the real slaughter begins.

Later Marius takes over and reforms the army. He uses cohorts, a concept used in the past when maniples were detached and formed together to be used independently. But now Marius has a maniple from each line made into one formation designed to fight together. The Triari is renamed Pilus and is beefed up to full manpower and will now be on the front line, why waste veteran experience?

The maniples would have small enough gaps between them for maneuver and to allow them to open and close ranks without upsetting order. The gaps between cohorts are now bigger, equal to their width, but since the formation is now about 480 men strong instead of 160 it would be extremely unlikely for the enemy to be able to surround them and destroy them. If enemy of Rome did that it would mean the entirety of the front of their line would have to break ranks to do it. Again, easy pickings for cohorts in the second line or for cavalry to attack.

Since the tactics worked (Aquae Sextiae and Vercellae, 250,000 dead Germans to 1,500 Romans) everyone jumped on board. When a Consul raised and organized an army later on he did it on the lines of Marius' new model army. Why? It works. Same as before, the principal is sound, why recreate the wheel if you don't have to.

Another major factor in the Cohort legionary formation would be its flexibility. The commander could station his cohorts anywhere he wanted to. One line, two, three, detach men for flanking attacks, make a fourth line to prevent flanking attacks (Caesar at Pharsalus). Gaps, no gaps, auxiliary infantry and slingers in the gaps. Whatever, it is all based on the imagination and audacity of the Roman commander.

Altogher, this is my opinion but it seems to make sense to me. Retarded simple to lead and signals would be simple as well. Need to change direction of a cohort, tell the Pilus Prior centurion. Everyone guides off of his century.

So now let the discussion begin.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Use of whistles to relay commands in battle - by Bryan - 10-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman whistles Caballo 2 2,375 05-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Luca
  HBO Roman whistles Conal 2 2,161 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Conal