Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check(er)ed clothing in the Roman army, 1st C
Hi Jose
I wouldnt say it was dogtooth I think it would have been but each suceeding band of colour has been woven reversed or at least thats the way it seems to me... heres an enchanced image as well as a falkirk 260AD reconstruction and dogtooth...

Ive just realised its actually a 2/2 chevron woven as a check it helps when you get the images together and the orientation right Wink but still 2/2 twill and consistant with the remains from east yorkshire..

your quite right about the scottish register falkirk/shepards Tartan its incorrect to describe it as the Falkirk 260AD as its clearly a different weave...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
Re: Check(er)ed clothing in the Roman army, 1st C - by Crispianus - 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM