Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inscriptions on sudes / pila muralia
Salvete

I am looking for ALL found inscriptions from wooden sudes.

Only in Oberaden 300 pieces were recovered ......

On about 70 pieces of them inscriptions were carved. The carvings show the inscriptions of 18 Centuriae.

[Image: pila_muralia_5.jpg]
[Image: pila_muralia_6.jpg]

Is there any place where I can see:
- pictures of those findings ? To know how those inscriptions were made ... size of letters, used tools etc
- texts ? To know what exactly was written there ?

I know about genitivvs rule when carving on possesions. And I know in general how such inscriptions were made on other objects..

But I just would like to see more on sudes...

Can you help me ?
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
Quote:Is there any place where I can see:
- pictures of those findings ? To know how those inscriptions were made ... size of letters, used tools etc
- texts ? To know what exactly was written there ?
From memory (I don't at the moment have access to a copy of the book) they were reported on in

Albrecht, C. 1938: Das Römerlager in Oberaden und das Uferkastell in Beckinghausen an der Lippe vol.1, Veröffentlichungen aus dem Städt. Mus. für Vor- u. Frühgeschichte Dortmund ii.1, Dortmund

and checking my copy of Wells' GPoA, he says Oxé discusses them in detail on pp.76–81.

Note that whilst few people now believe they are pila muralia, there is also doubt about whether they were palisade stakes (sudes) and Kate Gilliver has made a very plausible case for their being portable obstacles, tied together like giant caltrops.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
I love this Forum!! You learn something new every day (or I do anyway!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
There is a closeup photo of 3 or 4 of the ones found at Oberaden, in which one can see the centuria markings, in the 2009 Ancient Warfare Magazine Special - the Varian Disaster.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quote:Is there any place where I can see: pictures of those findings ?
Quote:Albrecht, C. 1938: Das Römerlager in Oberaden und das Uferkastell in Beckinghausen an der Lippe vol.1, Veröffentlichungen aus dem Städt. Mus. für Vor- u. Frühgeschichte Dortmund ii.1, Dortmund.
and checking my copy of Wells' GPoA, he says Oxé discusses them in detail on pp.76–81.
Apparently, there are photos on pp. 53-59.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dimensions of Pila Muralia? Neuraleanus 16 4,964 06-29-2018, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Fyr Mureys
  Article search about pila muralia caiusbeerquitius 3 1,174 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Last Post: richsc