Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Exhibition of Forgeries
A Swiss exhibition consists of archeological scams. I would love to see this.

Quote:"L'âge du Faux" ("The Age of Forgeries") brings one into a shadowy world of criminal artists, dealers in stolen goods and scientists so filled with ambition that they quickly allowed themselves to be fooled.

[Image: image-254800-galleryV9-rvfw.jpg]

Quote:This gold helmet, crafted by the well-known forger Israel Rouchomowsky at the end of the 19th century, is considered his best work. It is embellished with scenes from Homer's Iliad, and bears an inscription claiming it was a gift from the Greek Black Sea colony of Olbia to the Scythian king Saitaphernes.

Spiegel
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
If it's a fake, I'll have it then! :mrgreen:

It certainly would have fooled me..... :eek:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
How are we so sure? Amazing what certain people would do though! tut tut tut :lol:

Sam
Samuel J.
Not suprising really considering the high prices fakes can go for, how many fakes are there in museums today?.... "got it from a guy in (insert suitable city) who said he got it from a guy in(insert suitable country) who found it at(suitable site)..... Wow and in such good condition too!".....
Still I would say Israel Rouchomowsky was an Artist and wish to have Half his ability :wink:
The lengths that some people will go too is truly extraordinary...

Cheers :wink:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Saw an article about a forger who was put on trial for selling artwork to the Nazis!
Once he fessed up and admitted the art was all forgeries(plus many in exhibit in museums around the world) he was given a very light sentance for forgery, instead of selling national treasures to the Nazis! And became a national hero!! :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This post reminds me of the time that I mentioned to a lady in the British Museum that I wanted to recreate the Corbridge Lanx, where upon she replied "Oh do be carefull for in the future it may be passed off as genuine"
The only problem I have had about this is that I cannot get the correct guage and size of Silver sheet to make it, for if I ever do and putting modesty aside I have the absoloute confidence to know that I can do it.
Brian Stobbs
Came across this quite book by chance "THE ANTIQUARY'S BOOKS, ARCHEOLOGY AND FALSE ANTIQUITIES" 1905 and it had this to say...

"At a seance of the Academie des Inscriptions et Belles-
Lettres, held on the ist of April, 1896, it was announced
that the Musee du Louvre had just acquired two wonder-
ful monuments of ancient Greek goldsmiths' work, viz.
a tiara and a neck-collar, found in Southern Russia, near
the site of the ancient town of Olbia. For these objects
200,000 francs were paid. Oh the tiara (PI. XVIII.) there
was an inscription to the effect that it was an offering by
that town to a Scythian king named Saitapharnes. One
did not know, it was said, which to admire most the
fresh condition in which the tiara had reached them,
the importance of its composition, or the historical in-
terest attached to it. From the very beginning, some
experts, such as Furtwasngler, of Munich, De Stern,
conservator of the Odessa Museum, and Murray and
Read, of the British Museum, had expressed doubts as to
the authenticity of the tiara, as well as of other antiquities
professing to come from the same quarter. But these
opinions were confined to experts and had no effect on the
public, or on the responsible authorities of the Louvre
Museum. It was not till the summer of 1903 that the
circumstantial evidence of its forgery reached a climax.
M. Reinach thus describes the circumstances :"

"Meantime a correspondent of the Figaro telegraphed
from Odessa that Rouchoumowsky was ready to come to
Paris for 1200 francs, and supply proof positive that
he had actually manufactured the tiara. The result of
the official investigation which ensued on his arrival
in Paris haConfused not, however, completely solved the mystery.
There is no longer any doubt that the tiara to the extent
of three-fourths was the actual work of this artist ; but as
to the rest, as well as certain ornamental details, they were
supplied to him as mutilated fragments, said to be
ancient, by one Hochmann, a grain merchant, from Otch-
akoff, near Odessa, for whom he had executed the work.
It is reported that behind all there is a learned archaeolo-
gist who manufactured the supposed ancient fragments,
but who will not come on the scene till 1905, when the
time for taking legal action in cases of forgery expires."

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:How are we so sure? Amazing what certain people would do though! tut tut tut :lol:

Is a supposed original really that much more valuable than a great piece of honest art? With talent like that, why risk getting into trouble?