Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Hooking\" with the Aspis
Looking at some Greek vases online, I'm beginning to notice that many seem to show hoplites using their shields outstretched rather than flat in front of them. Some even seem to show a hoplite reaching behind their opponent's shield as if to push it out of the way.
[attachment=1601]hoplite1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1602]hoplite2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1603]hoplite3.jpg[/attachment]

Would this have been a viable tactic in one on one combat?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Henry O.
Hi Henry,

It seems to have been very common to lead with the part of a strapped shield opposite the shield hand, with the shield forearm level and pointing slightly right. This gave maximum reach and protection (a small movement of the shield arm will stop any thrust coming towards the body) but it probably wasn't as suited for fighting in a line as leading with the bottom of the shield or just holding the shield upright in front of you. It was the recommended base position for round strapped shields in 16th-17th century Europe.

For more, see two articles by Stephen Hand and Paul Wagner in the journal Spada.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Agree with Sean.

Non phalanx fighting allows more techniques for a trained warrior but most of these techniques are negated in packed ranks.

kind reghards
I also agree that this guard would be good for beating and striking with the shield, but I haven't trained with large shields myself, and the later European sources prefer to focus on the sharp weapon.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
This is a light shield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3J-10KfRe8

Yet Master E. Argendo perfored similar staff with the 6 kilogram hoplite shiled.

Please note though that this is non-phalanx fighting

Kind regards
Interesting pictures and movie.
Did not notice the "hooking" detail previously.

This "tactic" can be done with, central gripped, not to big and to heavy round/rectangular flat shields.
Have not tried curved or domed shields yet.

This type of shield use is what we call in European reenactment training and fighting=> Active Shield.
Sometimes it works in a Line, but best to be used in a duel.
Hopefully for the receiving side he/she wears some left(shield) hand protection.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Just realised who the swordsman was. Well known fencer and instructor in the UK W.M.A scene, he's good too.The spearman needs more work though, has he never heard of distance, slashing, continuous attacks etc. Nice work by the swordsman to be landing attacks so reliably.
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,709 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite